We all know that feeling. You know the one I'm talking about. Suddenly, without warning, the one thing that you need most in this world is some chocolate cake. But wait—you don't have flour, sugar, baking powder... the list goes on. What to do?

Well, as long as you've got an egg, a banana and some cocoa powder, you're in luck! These three ingredients magically combine in the microwave to make the easiest, fastest and healthiest chocolate treat that embodies the best parts of a regular cake, with none of the guilt.

Naturally sweetened with only a banana, not to mention it's loaded with complete protein from the egg and fiber from the cocoa powder, this healthy mug cake is arguably the most nutritious thing you'll eat all day. Honestly, it's probably healthy enough for breakfast. Don't worry, it'll be our dirty little secret. So, who's ready to get baking? Or shall I say, microwaving?

3-Ingredient Chocolate Mug Cake

• Cook Time:1 min 30 secs
  • Total Time:6 mins 30 secs

• 1 egg
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
chocolate, egg, banana
Natalie Oberer

Mash the banana in a bowl until all the lumps are gone.

egg, rice
    Natalie Oberer

Add the egg and mix well.

egg, egg yolk, chicken, yolk, flour
    Natalie Oberer

Add the cocoa powder.

coffee, milk
    Natalie Oberer

Mix very well, making sure the cocoa powder is completely mixed in.

chocolate, pudding, cream, coffee, milk, sweet
    Natalie Oberer

Pour into a mug and microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds.

coffee, cake
    Natalie Oberer

Add your favorite toppings and let cool a minute before eating. Enjoy!

tea, coffee, cream, chocolate, milk
    Natalie Oberer

This mug cake would also be amazing with some peanut butter swirled in (and just put on top because chocolate and peanut butter is the most amazing combination ever, and I'll never be convinced otherwise), a scoop of ice cream, fresh fruit or even some chocolate chips for those of you crazy kids who like to add more chocolate to your chocolate.

This cake is the perfect size for one, although if you're feeling extra generous it's also easy to share—or just make a friend their own. As someone who normally doesn't even like cake (sorry, I'm a pie person), I actually love making this. Most cakes are way too dry for me, but not this one; it's spongey, rich, moist and deliciously decadent. Just like these other microwavable treats, it's so easy and quick to make, there's no excuse not to do it.