When the leaves turn orange and the air becomes cool, autumn has officially made its grand entrance. The season brings with it distinct flavors that chefs across the country add to their dishes, including the baristas at Starbucks. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar are the most prominent, but they are nothing without fall's most prized ingredient: pumpkin.  

In addition to being versatile in its use and festive in its appearance, pumpkin has a variety of health benefits. It is packed with vitamins A, C, and "carotenoids, the compounds that give the gourd their bright orange color, including beta-carotene, which the body converts into a form of vitamin A." It is rich in fiber and potassium, helping to keep you full and energized during long workouts. Pumpkin is fantastic for your skin, too. This veggie is incredibly advantageous, leaving me to wonder why it's almost only consumed in the fall.

If pumpkin is so delicious, why just enjoy it in your limited-edition Pumpkin Spice Latte? It is a readily available ingredient and during its peak season, can be found piled high in supermarkets, at farm stands, and of course in the pumpkin patch. From canned pumpkin to pumpkin puree, to the pulp and seeds themselves, pumpkin in all its forms is a tasty ingredient. Here are ways to eat pumpkin at every meal of the day.

Breakfast

Best for early-risers on the go, this pumpkin pie smoothie can be pre-made before a busy morning and wakes you up with its rich cinnamon spice.

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

• 1 banana
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp. almond butter
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • optional: 1/2 cup ice cubes
  • optional: 1 tbsp. vanilla protein powder
Zoe Malin

Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until fully incorporated.

Zoe Malin

Pour into a glass and enjoy on a cool fall morning.

Zoe Malin

Snack

Vegetable-blended hummus is becoming popular due to vibrant ingredients such as beets and red peppers being added to the dip. Pumpkin hummus causes this protein-packed snack to be a gorgeous shade of orange, which complements the nutty brown color of the multigrain crackers it's served with.

Pumpkin Hummus

• 1 15oz can chickpeas
  • 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. raw maple syrup
  • 1 tsp rosemary
  • a pinch salt
  • 2 tbsp. roasted pumpkin seeds
Zoe Malin

Before you begin making the pumpkin hummus, roast the pumpkin seeds in the oven at 350°F. Roast for about 10 minutes.

Zoe Malin

Drain the can of chickpeas and wash with cold water.

Zoe Malin

Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender.

Zoe Malin

Blend until the ingredients are pureed and fully mixed together. The hummus should be quite thick.

Zoe Malin

Scoop the hummus into a bowl and top with the roasted pumpkin seeds.

Zoe Malin

Serve with gluten-free multigrain crackers or rice crackers. This snack is sure to wow the guests at your next dinner party!

Zoe Malin

Lunch

Step away from your usual salad tossed with pumpkin seeds and try this unique pumpkin sandwich instead!

Pumpkin, Goat Cheese, and Kale Sandwich

• Cook Time:0

• 2 bread slices
  • 1 tbsp. goat cheese
  • 1 tbsp. pumpkin puree
  • Fresh kale
Zoe Malin

Toast two slices of bread (I prefer gluten-free).

Zoe Malin

On one slice of toast spread the pumpkin puree. On the other slice of toast spread the goat cheese.

Zoe Malin

Add a few kale leaves to one slice of toast.

Zoe Malin

Sandwich the two pieces of toast together and marvel at your tasty, healthy lunch!

Zoe Malin

Dinner

This Pumpkin "Fried Rice" is extremely nutritious, especially when made with brown rice. Make two batches so you can have leftovers for lunch the next day!

Pumpkin "Fried Rice"

• 1 cup cooked rice
  • 1/4 cup canned peas
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup chopped butternut squash
  • 1/3 cup chopped mushrooms
  • Parmesan cheese
Zoe Malin

Take out your cooked rice.

vegetable, cereal, risotto, rice
    Zoe Malin

Chop 1/2 cup of butternut squash. Place the chopped butternut squash on a greased baking sheet and roast in the oven at 350°F for about 15 minutes.

Zoe Malin

Chop 1/3 cup mushrooms and sauté in a pan over medium heat.

Zoe Malin

When the mushrooms are soft, add the peas. Mix together.

Zoe Malin

Add 1/3 cup pumpkin puree to the pan. Mix with the mushrooms and peas over the heat for about 5 minutes.

Zoe Malin

Pour the cooked rice into the pan and stir until all the ingredients and thoroughly combined.

Zoe Malin

Place the Pumpkin “Fried Rice” in a bowl and top with the roasted butternut squash. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve while the dish is warm and steaming.

Zoe Malin

Dessert 

Let's face it: dessert is the most important meal of the day. Pumpkin desserts, however, are much more intriguing than a typical slice of cheesecake and will satisfy your fall-flavor craving once and for all.

Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes

• Total Time:1 hr

• 3 ounces store-bought gluten-free graham crackers or sugar cookies
  • 3 tablespoons melted butter
  • One pinch kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
  • 12 ounces cream cheese
  • 2/3 cup granulated coconut sugar
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 pint Heavy cream
  • vanilla and sugar to taste
Zoe Malin

Preheat oven to 350°F and line a standard cupcake tin with 12 cupcake liners.

Zoe Malin

Place the graham crackers, melted butter, salt, and coconut sugar into a food processor and pulse until mixed together and a crumbly consistency. Evenly divide the crust mixture among the 12 cupcake liners. Make sure to pat down the layer of crust mixture in each muffin liner after it has been distributed so it is compact at the bottom of the tin and will bake evenly. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.

Zoe Malin

While the crust is baking, make the pumpkin cheesecake mixture! Place the cream cheese, 2/3 cup coconut sugar, 3/4 cup pumpkin puree, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice into the food processor. Blend until all ingredients are fully combined.

Zoe Malin

When the crusts are finished baking, take them out of the oven and allow them to cool for at least 10 minutes.

Zoe Malin

Once the crusts have cooled, evenly distribute the cheesecake mixture among the crusts. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until the cheesecake has completely set. The cheesecakes should be set but still jiggle a bit when the pan is shaken. 

Zoe Malin

Allow the cheesecakes to COMPLETELY cool. I recommend placing the cheesecakes in the refrigerator for an hour.

Zoe Malin

While the cheesecakes are cooling, make the whip cream. Add the heavy cream, vanilla, and sugar to a bowl and whip with an electric mixer.

Zoe Malin

When they have cooled, take the individual cheesecakes out of the refrigerator and unwrap each one from the muffin liners.

Zoe Malin

Add a dollop of whipped cream on top as well as a sprinkle of crushed gluten-free graham crackers or cookies.

Zoe Malin

Pop one (or two or three!) in your mouth right away… they’re too good to last long!

Zoe Malin

Pumpkin can be used in a diverse array of dishes and make an appearance during any meal of the day. Now that you know some of my favorite ways to eat pumpkin, try mixing it up in the kitchen this fall by experimenting with seasonal ingredients and you may even come up with your own creative recipes.