For me, everything has to be chocolate all the time, and ice cream is no exception. The more chocolate chunks the better. However, the start of spring has an effect on even the most stubborn of chocolate-lovers, like me. The thought of plain vanilla ice cream would usually have me snoring, but there’s something about combining it with fresh fruit that I find almost as indulgent as chocolate fudge. This Pinterest-inspired recipe uses only 3 ingredients. Can it get much simpler than that?

If you’re feeling super adventurous or seek more of a challenge, give homemade vanilla ice cream a try. Also, if you aren’t a frequent-flyer of the produce section (because hello, we’re in college), don’t sweat. Following these tips will help you learn how to pick out fruit that is ripe and in-season. Typically, the prettiest fruit is the winner, but there are ideal colors, smells, and textures for fruit at its sweetest point.

Orange Vanilla Ice Cream Cup

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:0 minutes
  • Total Time:5 minutes

• 1 pint vanilla ice cream
  • 1 orange
  • Pecans (for garnish)
Photo by Gina Marcucci

Slice the top off of the orange, as if carving a pumpkin.

Photo by Gina Marcucci

Using an ice cream scoop, begin to hollow out the orange. Running a knife along the edge will make it easier.

#SpoonTip: Be sure to leave some of the juice, so that the ice cream absorbs plenty of orange flavor.

Photo by Gina Marcucci

Once the orange is empty enough, scoop as much ice cream into it as your heart desires.

Add some pecans for garnish, or even fresh berries.  You do you.

#SpoonTip: Instead of throwing away the orange scraps, find a creative way to use them. Smoothie?  Fruit salad?  It’s up to you and your imagination.

Photo by Gina Marcucci