Did you grow up in the Episcopal church? Do you normally dip a wafer in wine during the Eucharist? Ditto. My Eucharist experience changed a lot once I got to Sewanee and started attending services at All Saints Chapel. The Chapel is on Sewanee's campus, and the Holy Eucharist is practiced with real bread, rather than the communion wafers common in many churches. All Saints also doesn't practice intinction, a fancy word for dipping bread in wine. 

I welcomed the change, and have been practicing the Eucharist this way since freshman year. However, it wasn't until this semester that I learned that the bread is made by students. Intrigued by their process, I attended a bread baking workshop lead by Christina Rutland and Evans Ousley, Sacristans of All Saints. They have taken on the baking as a part of their role but have also created the All Saints Bread Guild, which anyone can join.

This recipe is unique to Sewanee's Bread Guild because it substitutes water and brown sugar for honey, and is a vegan and child-friendly adaptation to fit the congregation of All Saints. 

Eucharist Bread

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 30 mins

• 3/4 cup warm water
  • 1 1/4 tsp active yeast
  • 6 Tbsp water and brown sugar mixture
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup bread flour
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
coffee, milk, cereal, tea
Hannah Garey

Start with a prayer, and combine flours, salt, and yeast into a mixing bowl and stir.

flour, cereal, wheat, tapioca, bread, plain flour
    Hannah Garey

Measure and add in wet ingredients in order starting with oil and the water and brown sugar mix.
    #SpoonTip: By adding the oil first, the brown sugar mix won't stick.

Hannah Garey

Sprinkle some flour on a clean surface and knead the ingredients together to form a stiff dough. Split the dough in two balls (four are pictured because we doubled the recipe).

flour, bread, dough, pastry, wheat, sweet, cereal
    Hannah Garey

Smooth the tops of each ball and tuck the excess dough under, creating a small divot, and try and make it as smooth as possible.

bread, cake, chocolate, sweet, cookie, flour, pastry
    Hannah Garey

Place the two balls on a well-oiled pan covered by paper towels and let them rise for 30 minutes.

tea, coffee
    Hannah Garey

Preheat the oven to 350°. Flip the balls once the dough has risen and reform their circular shape if necessary. Using a knife, cut crosses on the tops of each ball. Say a little prayer for your bread so it doesn't burn and bake it for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.

bread, wheat, flour, cereal, dairy product, pastry, dough, sweet
    Evans Ousley

Enjoy what you've made, but make sure there's enough for Sunday's service!

cookie
    Evans Ousley