When winter break comes along, all I ever want to do is put on my fuzzy socks, turn up the holiday tunes, and bring out all the baking supplies for holiday treats and mugs for hot cocoa. While looking for new cookies to bake, I came across what could possibly be the holy grail of all cookies. I can assure you that these marshmallow-topped chocolate cookies are gifts from heaven and the best of both worlds: soft cookies that taste like hot cocoa.

Hot Chocolate Cookies

• Prep Time:25 minutes
  • Cook Time:16 minutes
  • Total Time:41 minutes
  • Servings:36 cookies

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 12 oz bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 8 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 16 large marshmallows, cut into half
Photo by Ashley Kim

Melt the butter and 12 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Stir constantly until melted. Remove the pan from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.

Photo by Ashley Kim

Combine the sugars, eggs, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Beat with whisk or electric beater until evenly combined.

Beat in the cooled chocolate until evenly combined.

Photo by Ashley Kim

Add in the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until all ingredients are mixed in. Cover bowl with saran wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Scoop up a tablespoon of dough and roll it in hands until evenly rounded. Place dough evenly on each sheet.

Photo by Ashley Kim

Bake cookies for 12 minutes. Remove cookies from oven and place one 1/2 inch piece of baking chocolate on the center top of each cookie, and then place half a marshmallow on top. Place cookies back in oven and bake for another 4 minutes.

Photo by Ashley Kim

Remove cookies from oven and let cookies cool for at least 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Garnish with chopped up baking chocolate if desired.

Photo by Ashley Kim

Bundle up. Turn on Netflix. Enjoy!

Photo by Ashley Kim