After a long and exhausting day of studying, doing homework, keeping up with orgs and friends, as well as trying to stay awake (the essentials of a college student), it is important to treat yourself. But with all this work piling up and things needing to be done, you need a quick and refreshing dessert to indulge in that won’t break the bank.

Easy and quick to make, this ice cream can be easily stored in the freezer for those late night snacks or for those surprisingly hot days. A great alternative to those dining hall ice cream cups and popsicles, this recipe utilizes familiar ingredients that anyone can get their hands on.

For example, this recipe uses regular sugar rather than sweetened condensed milk. In addition, the no-churn ice cream process means less work and a shorter wait time for a greater, tastier award. This recipe can be altered in many ways to reflect your own individual taste and preferences but here is a version of one of my personal favorite flavors: mint chocolate chip.

Homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:1 hour (waiting)
  • Total Time:65 minutes
  • Servings:1-2 servings

• 4 Oreo cookies
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 tablespoon sugar
  • Green food coloring
  • Peppermint extract
Photo by Amanda Chong

Place 4 Oreo cookies into a small Ziploc bag and break into small bite-size pieces.

Photo by Amanda Chong

Pour ½ cup of heavy whipping cream into a bowl and mix on low speed until you get stiff peaks (takes about 1 to 3 minutes).

Photo by Amanda Chong

Add 2-3 drops of green food coloring and a splash of peppermint extract to the heavy whipping cream and mix for 30 seconds or until the green color is even.

Photo by Amanda Chong

Mix 2 tablespoons of sugar, the 4 crushed Oreos, and the 1/4 cup of chocolate chips into the ice cream mixture with a spoon.

#SpoonTip: Taste the cream and add sugar to desired sweetness.

Photo by Amanda Chong

Transfer the ice cream mixture into a container that can be sealed.

Photo by Amanda Chong

Place in your freezer for at least an hour to achieve an ice cream texture and enjoy.

Photo by Amanda Chong