Every week, I purchase a $10 granola bag from my local supermarket, and it almost always runs out in four to five days. I've tried looking for bigger boxes that will last me longer, but they never seem to satisfy the flavor profile I'm looking for, or the nutritional value I want for my breakfast.

This month, I tried making my own granola and not only did it taste absolutely delicious, but I also had the control to add any ingredients I wanted while making a large enough portion to last me two weeks! After much trial and error, I want to share my homemade crunchy granola recipe, which you can easily adapt and personalize to your own liking. 

You do not need every one of the ingredients listed! This recipe is extremely friendly to adaptations.

Homemade Crunchy Granola

• 3 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 3/4 cup cashews
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup coconut shavings
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup and two tablespoons maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 1 pinch sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Olga Lindner

Step 1:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Step 2:

In a large bowl, combine oats, pumpkin seeds, cashews, sugar, coconut shavings, vegetable oil, 1/3 maple syrup, chia seeds, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger. 

Step 3: 

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and evenly spread the oat mixture on top. Place in the oven for 9 minutes. While baking, complete Step 4. After the first 9 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven and rake the mixture with a fork or spoon. Rebake for another 9 minutes and rake again. 

Step 4: 

Lightly coat the 1 1/2 cups of chopped walnuts with the remaining maple syrup and set aside.

Step 5:

Once Step 3 is complete, add the coated walnuts to the mixture and bake once more for 9 minutes. 

Step 6:

Let your baked granola cool completely before placing it in an airtight container. 

Olga Lindner

Although I’ve found the formula above to be my favorite flavor profile, as I mentioned before, this recipe is incredibly friendly to any other adaptations.

For Chocolate Lovers: Try adding dark cocoa to your oat mix before baking, or try adding milk or white chocolate chips to the granola after it's cooled from the oven. 

For That Fruity Bite: Try adding dried fruit to your cooled granola. My personal favorites include raisins, strawberries, dates, and apricots. 

For More Protein: Try adding half a cup of peanut butter to the oat mixture before placing it in the oven. 

For More Fiber: Try adding half a cup of canned pumpkin or canned sweet potatoes. You can also substitute the cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in the original recipe with a pumpkin spice mix for a more fall-inspired flavor profile.

yogurt, milk, sweet, berry, strawberry, cream, dairy, muesli, blueberry, granola, mint, dairy product, frozen yogurt
Jenny Mun

The Perfect Pairings:

Granola and Yogurt: A classic and my everyday favorite. This pairing serves as a delicious perfect breakfast, not to mention the added probiotic benefit.

Granola and Milk: A healthy replacement for sugary cereals and a great source of calcium.

Granola and Smoothie Bowls: Acting as a crunchy topping, granola can add that perfect bite to a smoothie bowl, alongside sliced fruit and a scoop of peanut butter.