We’ve all been there. We’re just happily going about our lives, doing this and that, and then *BAM* all of a sudden you get hit with a sweet craving so overpowering that it’s all you can think about. Normally though, after eating a full pint of Ben and Jerry's the craving ends with feeling like a pile of crap. No one likes that. Let me help you satisfy that craving, feel satiated and fulfilled, and NOT like a pile of crap. I give you… the healthy brownie in a mug. And not just any old brownie in a mug, this is the mug brownie to trump all other mug brownies. Legit game-changer. 

In my extensive search for the perfect healthy brownie in a mug, every recipe I found was either unhealthy, or complicated, or both. Then I came across this one recipe*. Oh boy, it changed my life. Not only is it uncomplicated, fast, cheap, and healthy, but it also TASTES AMAZING. It’s like biting into a warm gooey chocolaty lava cake: it’s rich, it’s decadent, it’s the perfect amount of sweet. Say no more; I'm yours. You would not even know that it’s healthy. This healthy brownie in a mug is my go-to whenever I have a sweet craving and it works like a charm!

*I found this recipe a couple years ago, adapted it, and wrote it down. I have scoured the internet looking for the recipe again to give credit but it's no where to be found! 

Gluten Free, Vegan, Refined-Sugar Free Brownie in a Mug

• 1/2 ripe banana emphasis on ripe!!
  • 2-3 tbsp cocoa powder or big spoonfuls*
  • 1 tsp. - 2 tbsp. Honey**
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • Recommended add in: 1 square 70-85% dark chocolate***
  • Yummy optional add-ins****
Claire Parrish

Using a fork, mash the banana in a microwave-safe mug until mostly smooth.

Claire Parrish

Add the remaining ingredients and mix with the fork until combined, making sure to get the bottom edges of the mug. Chop the chocolate and stir in, if desired.

Claire Parrish

Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, check brownie. If top is still wet, microwave for 15-30 seconds more. It may take shorter or longer depending on the type of mug, your microwave, and any additional ingredients you add.

Claire Parrish

I added almond butter and cinnamon to the top of this one . . . yum!!

Claire Parrish

Let's get a nice good close-up of all that gooey chocolately goodness, just in case you weren't already salivating.

Claire Parrish

2 minutes later, per usual, all gone! (and a happy satisfied tummy)

*this can vary depending on how dark you want your brownie.

**this also varies depending on the level of sweetness you want. I’ll do 2 tsp normally but will add more if the banana is not super ripe or if I add nut butter. It’s not an exact science. Also can be substituted for maple if vegan.

***highly recommend! This really makes it feel like a decadent sweet treat, as the gooey melted chocolate takes it to the next level. I love Lindt 85% dark chocolate! If you’re avoiding refined sugar, this can be omitted though and it still tastes great!

****you can tweak this recipe however you like - it is really easy to do! These are some of my favorite add-ins but you can really experiment and add whatever you're feelin':

- 1 tbsp protein powder (add some water or milk so it doesn't get dried out)

- 1 tbsp favorite nut butter

- 1/4 tsp espresso powder

- 1/4 tsp cinnamon