Summer is truly my favorite part of the year because of all of the fresh veggies and fruits that are produced- fresh-picked strawberries, blueberries, raspberries peaches, and so many more. I love experimenting in the kitchen and trying out fun ways to turn these berries into delicious desserts, whether that be muffins, pies, or bread loafs. However, I always go back to this Healthier Vegan Blueberry Oat Crumb Bar Recipe because of how quick and simple it is to make.

I love this recipe because it uses fresh-picked berries and simple ingredients to create a healthy, vegan, and gluten-free dessert that tastes like your favorite pie! I love how the recipe is so versatile as well- feel free to substitute the blueberries with any of your other favorite fruits (I love raspberries or peaches!). 

Healthier Vegan Blueberry Oat Crumb Bar Recipe

• For crust and crumble:
  • 1 1/2 cups gluten free oat flour or sub all purpose flour
  • 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats gluten-free if desired
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup coconut sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 8 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • For filling:
  • 2 1/2 heaping cups fresh or frozen blueberries or any berry/summer fruit your choice
  • 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup or honey
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot starch
  • 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
  • Zest from 1 lemon
  • Pinch salt
Isabel Acosta

Preheat oven to 350° F. Line 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

Make the base and topping: In a large bowl, use a fork to mix together the oat flour, oats, sugars, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Add in melted vegan butter or coconut oil, vanilla extract, and almond extract and stir until a nice crumble forms and dough begins to clump together.

Put 1 3/4 cups of the mixture into prepared pan and put remaining mixture into the fridge (this will be used for the topping). Use your hands to evenly press dough to the bottom of the pan.

For the filling, place a medium pit over medium heat. Add in the blueberries, maple syrup, almond extract, cornstarch (or arrowroot) and salt. Use a wooden spoon to press down and partially break down the blueberries.

Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and cook for about 5 more minutes until the mixture has thickened up and nicely coats the back of a spoon.

Pour mixture over the crust and use spoon to evenly spread it out.

Take remaining topping out of the fridge. There should be nice crumbles that have clumped together. Sprinkle the topping over the blueberry filling.

Bake for 30 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the topping is golden.

Allow the bars to cool completely on a wire rack before transferring it to the fridge to chill.

Serve the bars at room temperature or straight from the fridge- both are delicious! Use a sharp knife to cut into 16 bars before serving, and enjoy!

Isabel Acosta