There’s one food item in upperclassman dining halls that is often overlooked and underused: tortillas. Located unceremoniously next to Harvard’s wide selection of sliced breads, bagels, and english muffins, the tortillas await the adventurous student who is willing and able to unleash its full potential.

Enter, the Quesarito.

giphy

First popularized by our favorite fast food chain Chipotle, the quesarito is the glorious lovechild of a quesadilla and a burrito. It’s made by swapping the standard burrito wrapping paper, the tortilla, with a quesadilla.

So with that in mind, fellow broke-ass college student, we will try to quell our normally insatiable craving for Mexican food with an equally delicious dhall version of the classic quesarito.

Note: The following ingredients are what we suggest, but if you can’t get ahold of them or you feel like getting creative, remember: you are the Don Vito of your quesarito.

Quesarito

• Prep Time:3 minutes
  • Cook Time:4 minutes
  • Total Time:7 minutes
  • Servings:1 giant quesarito

• 2 plain tortillas
  • 1/4 cup brown rice
  • 1/4 cup choice of meat (I went with BBQ pulled pork & grilled chicken breast)
  • 1 tablespoon carrot, shredded
  • 1 tablespoon green onion, diced
  • 2 tablespoon tomato, diced
  • 2 tablespoon sour cream (plain greek yogurt is a good substitute)
  • 1 teaspoon tabasco hot sauce
Photo by Irene Limb

Spread the shredded cheese evenly between the two tortillas.

Photo by Irene Limb

Press the sh*t out of that quesadilla in the panini machine. Wait until you hear the cheese sizzlin’ and ignore the haters standing in line behind you.

Photo by Irene Limb

Transfer the quesadilla onto your plate and mentally prepare yourself for the magic that’s about to unfold in front of you.

Photo by Irene Limb

Evenly distribute the filling on top of the quesadilla, minus the sour cream and hot sauce. That’s the next step.

Photo by Irene Limb

This is the best part. For even distribution of hot sauce in your burrito or quesarito, mix it with a thicker condiment – in our case, sour cream.

Photo by Irene Limb

Drizzle the sauce over the filling.

Photo by Irene Limb

Remember you also ordered chicken breast from the grill. Insert atop everything else.

Photo by Irene Limb

Fold and fork. Or, if you have some real skillz, wrap in the style of a real burrito.

Photo by Irene Limb

Marvel and take pictures for proof that it happened. Devour.

Photo by Irene Limb