Walking through the dining hall on an average Wednesday afternoon, it hit me that if I tried to scarf down another sub par salad, I'd hurl. Yet, there was nothing exciting to eat other than occasionally substituting chicken for buffalo chicken at the sandwich station. That was when I decided to take matters into my own hands and make a dining hall dish that was unique and didn't break the bank.

Here is a step by step recipe on how to make a waffled grilled cheese sandwich in any dining hall!

Here is a step by step recipe on how to make a waffled grilled cheese sandwich in any dining hall.

Grilled Cheese Waffle Sandwiches

• 2-4 slices cheese mix and match
  • 1 cup waffle mix
  • 1 avocado optional

Spray the waffle press with some butter spray and pour that waffle mix right in. Make sure every inch is covered, because nothing is worse than a hole in your waffle. Then, put the top on and wait for it to cook.

Once your waffle is mostly cooked, open up the top and inhale your beautiful breakfast masterpiece.

waffle, chicken
    Rebecca Pang

It's time for the cheese. Carefully take your cheese slices and put them on the bottom half of your waffle. If they are coming off the sides or there isn't enough room, break the cheese up and layer them. Nothing is worse than wasted cheese.

waffle, cheese, bacon, chicken, sandwich
    Rebecca Pang

Next, fold the top half of your waffle on top of the cheese layer and carefully put the waffle press on top. Be careful to not burn your fingers!

peanut butter, bacon, peanut, butter, sandwich
    Rebecca Pang

Once you see that your cheese is melted, lift up the waffle press and put that bad boy on a plate. Sometimes, I like to slice some avocado and put it on top once I take my seat, but this sandwich is great on it's own, too.

waffle, syrup, bacon, peanut butter, butter, peanut
    Rebecca Pang

Congratulations! You did it! You've defeated the dining hall's restricting menu options for once! Let's celebrate with breakfast food that is socially acceptable to eat at 6pm.