April Fool's Day is a highly anticipated holiday for me. It's actually my birthday, and just like my age, the jokes never stop coming and unlike my age, they never get old.

This is the year. It's time to put my baking skills to the test and play a little prank myself. Being in a dorm, homemade food that's up for grabs is rare.

Who doesn't love grilled cheese? It's simple to make, buttery, ooey gooey and all that is cheesy in between. Offer some hungry friends lurking around the corner a platter of fresh, hot, cheesy.....oh wait, April Fool's.

Okay, I'm not that mean. Trade in that warm and buttery snack for some sweet and savory dessert. Prank your friends with this easy April Fools' treat like I did and laugh while you watch their faces. Then wait for them to thank you for a just as tasty dessert. 

Happy pranking!

April Fool's Day Grilled Cheese

• Prep Time:10 secs
  • Cook Time:2 secs
  • Total Time:12 secs

• 1 pound cake
  • 1/8 teaspoon red food coloring
  • 1/2 teaspoon yellow food coloring
  • 1 cup white frosting
  • 6 tablespoons softened butter
bacon, cheese, sandwich, bread, toast
Annalee Flaherty

Cut pound cake into 1/2-inch slices.

gif
    Annalee Flaherty

Spread butter on each side of your pound cake.

#SpoonTip: Be careful, the poundcake can break easily

gif
    Annalee Flaherty

Heat your grill pan on medium. Cook cake slices on both sides until golden brown for 1 to 3 minutes.

gif
    Annalee Flaherty

While you wait for your "bread to cool," add 1/2 teaspoon of yellow food coloring and an 1/8 teaspoon of red food coloring to your white frosting.

gif
    Annalee Flaherty

Mix it up until it looks like the color of American cheese.

gif
    Annalee Flaherty

Add your cheese in between your bread, slice diagonally, and serve it up.

gif
    Annalee Flaherty