Believe it or not, this popular American drink was actually invented unintentionally in Greece in 1957. It’s a must-try for tourists and can virtually be found in every single Greek café; even locals can’t live without it.

History

Coffee

Photo by Net Supatravanij

During an International Trade Fair in Thessaloniki, a representative of the Nestlé company, Giannis Dritsas, used the idea for another product to accidently invent the Greek Frappe Coffee. He was initially there to exhibit a chocolate beverage with milk made in a shaker; however, what he creatively (creatively for back then anyways) decided to do was apply this idea to his lunch break drink: coffee. Apparently he intended to make himself a normal cup of coffee but couldn’t find any hot water (poor him) and voila, the Greek frappe coffee was born.

How do you make it?

Essentially you just need instant coffee, sugar, milk, cold water and some ice cubes. If you have those essentials then you’re guaranteed a delicious cup of Greek frappe coffee waiting for you at the end of the road. Follow this link to see an easy step-by-step guide.

What’s so special about it?

Coffee

Photo by Net Supatravanij

Well, one of the key differences between Greek Frappe Coffee and regular iced coffee is the foam. It’s so thick and frothy that when you drink it there’s a cream-like feel, as if you were actually drinking whipped cream. It’s just as good, if not better, than a blended coffee drink you might find at your favorite coffee shop, except with less calories.

Where can I get a cup?

Unless you’re in Greece, you’ve got to either order your own instant coffee pack from Amazon or make your way over to a Greek grocery store (if you live within the vicinity of one). Once you’ve got all your ingredients prepped and ready to go, check out some delicious snacks to accompany your coffee.

Want to learn more about the history and process of its preparation down to a tee? Check out this link for more.