One of my favorite things about the summer is s’mores, and in the winter when I was little my mom would make me microwaved s’mores but, alas, they were not the same. And then I discovered the s’mores bar and my life was forever changed.

I’ve been baking these s’mores bars for a few years now, and they never cease to amaze. It’s an easy recipe and appropriate as we enter the cold winter months.

Side note: These s’mores bars are different from other s’more recipes I’ve tried in the past. They actually use all ingredients featured in a real s’more and the marshmallows don’t melt away once in the oven.

Easy

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 18-25 minutes
Total time: 28-35 minutes

Servings: 24 bars

S'mores bars

Photo by Janey Asher

1 lb, 5 oz sugar cookie mix
1 cup of graham cracker crumbs
1 cup (two sticks) of butter or margarine
3 cups of chocolate chips
4 1/2 cups of mini marshmallows

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large mixing bowl pour in the package of sugar cookie mix and graham cracker crumbs. I use Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix, but you can use any brand as long as there is 1 pound, 5 ounces of sugar cookie mix in the package.

S'mores bars

Photo by Janey Asher

2. Add the melted butter into the mixing bowl with your cookie/graham cracker mix, and stir until a dough forms. Press your dough onto an un-greased 13×9-inch pan.

S'mores bars

Photo by Janey Asher

3. Place pan into the oven for 15-20 minutes. I usually will check the pan after 15 minutes and determine from there about how much more time it needs, but it never needs more than 20. When the cookie base is ready it should look golden-brown

4. Remove it from oven and immediately sprinkle your chocolate chips on top of the cookie. Let the chocolate chips sit for a few minutes, then spread evenly over the cookie. A spatula or the back of a spoon works best for this.

5. Once there is a nice even chocolate layer on top, sprinkle the marshmallows on top of the chocolate. Place the pan back in the over for 3-5 minutes or until the marshmallows start to brown on top.

S'mores bars

Photo by Janey Asher

6. Let cool for 10 minutes or until you can’t control your hunger anymore, and enjoy!

For more s’mores stuff check these out: