Everyone knows the basic quesadilla: two tortillas, lots of cheese, even more grease. And there’s nothing wrong with this. Sometimes basic is good (I’m looking at you, PSL. Never change, baby).

But sometimes, you need to spice it up – and that’s exactly what this ‘dilla does. The addition of garlicky mushrooms and tangy goat cheese elevates the lowly quesadilla to semi-fancy status. Adding goat cheese automatically makes anything sound classier. Also, it happens to be pretty goddamn tasty. Make one right now and top with your favorite salsa or any hot sauce you have laying around. You can thank me later.

Goat Cheese and Mushroom Quesadilla

• Prep Time:1 minute
  • Cook Time:10 minutes
  • Total Time:11 minutes
  • Servings:1 quesadilla

• 2 - 3 tablespoon goat cheese
  • 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
  • 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 2 tortillas
  • Drizzle of olive oil

In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-low and swirl to coat pan. Add garlic and cook about 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Add mushrooms to garlic and cook, stirring often, about 3 to 4 minutes or until soft. Remove from pan.

Photo by Jessica Suss

Wipe any excess oil from skillet. Put down the first tortilla and cover evenly with the shredded mozzarella. Add the mushrooms in an even layer, then with the goat cheese. Top with the second tortilla.

Photo by Jessica Suss

Cook 2 minutes on each side, or until tortilla is crispy and cheese is melted.

Serve immediately.

Photo by Jessica Suss