"What kind of kitchen gadget did you buy now?" 

When you live in a household that's as foodie as mine, you'll often hear this phrase uttered from across the room. When I bought my first spiralizer (also known as a zoodler), my parents were anything but surprised. 

My zoodler has become one of my all-time favorite kitchen gadgets. Not only does it make even the most boring zuchinni into fun shapes, but zoodles can also serve as a substitute for dense pasta in summery salads and stir fries. You can zoodle anything from squash to carrots- and maybe even potatoes! You can buy a zoodler on Amazon for less than $10; this is the model I have, it works decently well!  

Here is a recipe for my newest zoodle creation: a stir fry with tempeh and Cleveland Kitchen's Gnarly Miso Jalapeno Dressing. Their company makes delicious sauerkraut, fermented salad dressings, and probiotic marinades that your tastebuds (and gut) will love. I used about 2 tbsp. for this recipe, but you can add more or less based on your personal preference. If you want to spice it up a notch, add some hot sauce to your final plate or during the cooking process. 

You can also substitute the tempeh (perhaps my favorite fermented product) with tofu, seitan, or meat. Add whatever veggies you'd like; I used what was left in my fridge for this iteration. 

Gnarly Miso Jalapeno Stir Fry with Zoodles and Tempeh

• 1 medium-sized zucchini the longer and thinner the better
  • 5 oz mushroom choice chopped
  • 1/2 shallot minced
  • 2 gloves garlic minced
  • 2 tsp. fresh ginger minced
  • 4 oz. tempeh cubed
  • 3 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 yellow bell pepper chopped
  • 2 tbsp. Cleveland Kitchen Gnarly Miso Jalapeno Dressing
  • 1 tsp. avocado oil for sautéing
Sara Klimek

In medium-sized pan over medium heat, combine avocado oil, shallot, garlic, ginger, bell pepper, and tempeh cubes. Stir in 1/2 of soy sauce and cook 3-4 minutes, or until aromatic.

Sara Klimek

Add mushrooms to pan with remaining soy sauce. Stir and cook until mushrooms release juices.

Sara Klimek

Prepare zoodles using spiralizer. You may need to stop and clean blade regularly to ensure spiraling occurs. Spiral as much of zuchinni as possible, and dice the remainder. You'll have more remainder if your zucchini is round.

Sara Klimek

Once mushroom is cooked, stir in dressing and zuchini noodles. Toss to coat and let cook on low for 2 minutes, stirring often.

Sara Klimek