Pumpkin pie is a classic Thanksgiving dessert, but sometimes after a big meal of turkey and stuffing, it’s just too much. Here come meringues to the rescue. Meringues are airy, sweet cookies typically made out of sugar and egg whites. They are naturally gluten-free and tend to be lower in fat than other cookies. When you combine them with pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice, and you get a dreamlike bite into fall that is just as good as a heavy pie.

Pumpkin Pie Meringue Cookies

• Prep Time:30 minutes
  • Cook Time:2 hours
  • Total Time:2 hours and 50 minutes
  • Servings:About 35 cookies
  • Advanced

• 4 egg whites
  • 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 cup superfine sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/8 teaspoon orange food coloring (optional)

Preheat the oven to 200°F and line a cookie tray with parchment paper.

Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until they are foamy.

Add the cream of tartar and beat until fluffy but not dry. Make sure you don’t over beat.

Add the sugar gradually, about 2 or 3 tablespoons at a time.

Once you have added about half of the sugar, mix in the vanilla.

Continue slowly adding the rest of the sugar until the meringue is very shiny and tight and forms stiff peaks.

Carefully fold in the pumpkin pie spice and the pumpkin puree.

#SpoonTip: You can also add orange food coloring if you want more vibrant cookies.

Fit a pastry bag with a star tip and fill the bag with the meringue. While holding the bag upright, use even pressure to pipe whatever size cookie you prefer. Then, release the pressure and gently raise the bag. Make sure to leave a little space between cookies.

#SpoonTip: You can use two spoons to form the cookies.

Bake the meringues for 2 hours. If you make bigger meringues, you may need to bake them a little longer. Try to avoid opening the oven door while the meringues are baking. Once you take them out of the oven, it is best to let the cookies stand for about 20 minutes.

Photo by Katherine Carroll