Buckwheat Crepes or 'Galette' differs greatly from the usual French Crepes. These crepes usually air on the savory side. You can fill them with any salty or sweet ingredients you love such as cheese, egg, bacon, mushrooms, even pineapple.

Buckwheat is the main ingredient and magic for gluten-free eaters. This type of flour is rich in fiber and contains essential minerals. Even though buckwheat flour can be costly, it is worth it because trust me, the taste makes all the difference.  

In Brittany County, France, they love to roll a traditional sausage inside them and eat it after a night of partying. In fact, Buckwheat crepes are to Brittany what tacos are to Californians: a fast and easy tasty snack. So let's make this recipe and impress your friends at your next party.

Buckwheat Crepe

• 2 cups buckwheat flour
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 2 cups water
  • Salt
  • Pepper
egg, bread, toast, egg yolk
Photo by Ona Isart

Whisk the buckwheat flour with the yellow of the egg and add water to obtain a thick dough. No clumps allowed.

Photo by Ona Isart

Beat the egg-whites with salt and pepper until stiff.

milk, cream, coffee, yogurt, sweet, dairy product
    Photo by Ona Isart

Add the oil and the egg whites slowly to the first preparation.

milk, coffee
    Photo by Ona Isart

Let rest one hour in the fridge—add a bit of water if the dough got thicker.

Pour one ladle of dough in a warm and greasy pan. Distribute it all around.

coffee, milk, tea, dairy product
    Photo by Ona Isart

Let it cook slowly on one side, then use a stick to flip it on the other one.
    Then repeat the operation to make a new one.

bread, sweet, cake, pastry, cereal, wheat
    Photo by Ona Isart

Now you can add all the ingredients you love inside it and warm it up.

egg, bread, toast, egg yolk
    Photo by Ona Isart