As an Indian, ginger is an integral part of my diet, and I grew up consuming it multiple times a day. It could be in smoothies, drinks, but mostly in some vegetable dish known as subzi. However, once I was old enough, I discovered a new way to enjoy it: as ginger tea! And I now drink it every day, usually more than once.

Ginger Black Tea

• 1 black tea bag
  • 1" knob ginger julienned
  • pinch ground cardamom
  • 1/2 tbsp honey or raw sugar optional
  • 2 tbsp milk or soy milk optional
Caroline Asplundh

boil at least 2 cups of water
    meanwhile, julienne the ginger (thinly slice). use 3-4 slices for the tea (or more for stronger), and freeze the rest in a small container for ease of use later

Caroline Asplundh

add the tea bag, ginger, and cardamom to a cup (and sugar/honey if using). once the water has boiled, wait a few seconds then SLOWLY pour into the cup. cover and let it steep for 3 minutes then take the tea bag out. i usually reuse the tea bag if i finish the cup immediately too.
    AFTER it is fully steeped, add the milk (if using)

Caroline Asplundh

let it cool to temp and enjoy!

Caroline Asplundh

This is my family's version of chai, and it's not the way-too-spiced American version of chai sold at Starbucks and the like. I drink it when I wake up, for an afternoon pick me up, or even before bed to relax me.

It's more traditional with the milk and sugar, but I cut the sugar out to be a little more health conscious, then I noticed I like it better without it. I especially like it without the milk after a meal or at night before bed as a light drink that helps me digest and relax.

Ginger has a lot of health benefits and that's one of the reasons I love drinking this so much. When I'm sick, I grate in the ginger and use raw local honey in it, which also helps with allergies.

Try it out and see which combination you like best.