The trees are budding, the grass is getting greener, and your time outside is hopefully becoming more enjoyable. Soon, my favorite time of the planting year will be upon us: berry season! As a young child, I have memories of playing in the blueberry patch at my grandparents' house and picking blueberries with them. My grandfather always told me that you should spend more time harvesting than eating in the patch, but it sure was tough to keep my hands off those delicious, ripe blueberries. 

There was almost nothing better than coming back home after a long day in the blueberry patch to watch my mother bake a blueberry cobbler or blueberry pancakes the next morning. These berries are full of antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins that our bodies crave after a long winter. But now with the joys of modern refrigeration technology, we don't have to wait all winter to have berries; I bought a ten pound bag of frozen organic blueberries at my grocery store for around $10. 

The key to this recipe, since it does not include any other oils to bind the batter, is to use a yogurt high in saturated fat. This makes coconut yogurt the ideal candidate! I used the plain variety from one of my favorite brands: The Collaborative! They make a variety of low-sugar, plant-based, vegan coco-yogurts. Besides baking, I love using their yogurts for breakfast on-the-go or for parfaits. 

This was the first time I've ever used protein powder in baking, and I was pleasantly surprised about how it turned out. I chose BEAM's vegan protein powder. Each 100 calorie serving has 20g of plant-based protein! The vegan line only come in two flavors (chocolate brownie and blueberry muffin), but the brand itself offers numerous whey flavors like salted peanut butter. 

This recipe certainly has the opportunity for substitutions! You can use your favorite berries (or a mix of them) to make the muffins your way. When you're making the batter, you might think the amount of berries is small compared to the amount of batter; this ratio is actually preferable! The more berries you add, the more juice and cooking time you'll need. If you use frozen berries, too many might make the batter super watery. 

You can also omit the protein powder and add a little more oat flour instead. Add a little crunch by stirring in some toasted pecans, walnuts, or almonds with the batter. One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it's safe to eat raw, so if you want a yummy protein-filled snack, skip the baking tray and grab yourself a bowl! 

Vegan Blueberry Protein Muffins

• 1 1/2 cup oat flour
  • 1 pack BEAM vegan protein powder Blueberry Muffin Flavor
  • 8.4 oz 2 packs The Collaborative Plain Coconut Yogurt
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 2 tbsp. maple syrup
  • 1 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
Sara Klimek

In mixing bowl, combine oat flour, protein powder, cinnamon, almond milk, and yogurt.

Sara Klimek

Stir in blueberries.

Sara Klimek

Evenly spoon batter into baking tray.

Sara Klimek

Cook at 375° F for 45 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Sara Klimek