It’s summertime and that means it's farmers market season! One of my favorite recipes to make is my Farmers Market Bruschetta. My inspiration for this recipe came from The Café Sucre Farine. My favorite part about this recipe is that almost all of the fresh ingredients can be purchased at your local farmers market! So whip out that cutting board and throw on some Frank Sinatra background music because it's time to get cookin’. 

Farmers Market Bruschetta

• 2 ears fresh corn– husks and silk removed
  • 1 small zucchini– diced in 1/4 inch pieces
  • 1 medium diced bell pepper– about 1 cup
  • 1 cup diced red onion– about 1/4-inch dice
  • 4 medium scallions green onions– thinly sliced
  • 1 red tomato
  • fine zest from one lemon
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup chèvre or soft goat cheese
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 baguette
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 cup butter– melted
  • 3 cloves garlic– minced
sweet, vegetable, pepper
Mackenzie Burgess

Preheat oven to 375°. Slice the baguette crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices. In a small bowl, stir together the butter, olive oil, and chopped garlic. Spread the butter mixture onto each slice of the bread. Pro tip: Use a basting brush.

cheese
    Mackenzie Burgess

Place the slices onto a cookie sheet buttered-side-up and bake for 8–10 minutes. Pro tip: If the crostinis haven’t browned to your liking, broil them for 1 minute or so.

cheese, biscuits, garlic, garlic bread, bread
    Mackenzie Burgess

While waiting for crostinis to bake, wrap each ear of corn in plastic wrap and place in microwave on high power for 2 minutes. Remove and allow to cool slightly before unwrapping. Slice corn from cob by placing the flat end of the corn down and running the knife down the cob. Place in a large bowl. You can also skip the microwaving and cut the corn raw from the cob. I just tend to like the corn a little softer.

meat, popcorn, vegetable, wheat, cereal, corn
    Mackenzie Burgess

Chop up the zucchini, pepper, green onions, tomato and red onions into a small dice and add these to the bowl. Stir to combine. I love this step because you get to see all the different beautiful colors come together. This also makes the nutrition major in me super happy because more color variation of fresh produce means more variation of all the different nutrients your body needs! Not sure how to dice a red onion or tomato? Hop onto youtube and have the pros (like Gordon Ramsey) guide you.

candy, corn
    Mackenzie Burgess

Over the large bowl, zest the lemon. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the mixture with the fresh lemon juice. Then, drizzle the olive oil over. Sprinkle with black pepper, sea salt and thyme. Stir again. Pro tip: Sea salt is rich in trace minerals like magnesium, calcium, potassium, and iron.

pizza
    Mackenzie Burgess

To serve, spread goat cheese over a crostini, top with vegetable mixture, and enjoy! Serve the mixture over a bed of lettuce for gluten-free guests.

salad, pepper, salsa, vegetable, tomato
    Mackenzie Burgess

And there you have it! This recipe is super simple and makes for the perfect light summer recipe. This recipe is also great because it is super versatile. For example, you can change the amounts of the produce to your liking or substitute in produce available during different months of the season. This bruschetta can be the perfect hors d'oeuvre appetizer, a great addition to your salad, or it can even stand alone and just be eaten by the spoonful. I think it’s time to bookmark this recipe, start shopping and get ready for a whole lotta “wows."