Passover is the Jewish holiday that celebrates the Exodus of the Jews from slavery in ancient Egypt. As the story goes, the Jews who fled from Egypt didn't have enough time to let their bread rise before departing and instead baked a type of flat bread called matzoh. 

Today, Jews who observe Passover eat lots of matzoh and avoid all foods that contain chametz, or leavening (baking soda and powder). No leavening means missing out on lots of yummy desserts, which can be a bit of a bummer for a Jewish, dessert-loving girl like me.

Although there are plenty of Passover desserts made with matzoh, coconut, egg whites, etc., I often find myself craving more flavorful, decadent chocolate desserts. That's where this list comes in: five indulgent, Passover-friendly recipes (no flour or leavening whatsoever).

1. Classic Chocolate Mousse

Nothing beats the airiness, velvety texture and rich flavor of dark chocolate mousse. With a hint of espresso, this Epicurious recipe offers the perfect ratio of bitter and sweet. Topped with a dollop of cold whipped cream, this crowd-pleasing classic is a leavening- (and gluten-) free winner.

2. Fallen Chocolate Cake

Chocolate cake is one of life's greatest pleasures, and there's no reason to miss out on its perfection during Passover. This Bon Appétit recipe yields a flourless, intense, dark chocolatey cake with a cloud-like texture. A topping of whipped mascarpone and cream balances its rich flavor.

3. Chocolate Pistachio Fudge

Fudge is bursting with indulgent, creamy, melt-in-your-mouth goodness. This easy recipe from Nigella Lawson incorporates crunchy, salty pistachios and plenty of rich, dark chocolate flavor for an ideally sweet-and-salty treat that is 100% Passover-friendly.

4. Chocolate Macarons with Orange Ganache

Macarons are one of the most elegant, classy desserts imaginable. Better yet, they're made with almond flour and no leavening, so they're perfect for a fancy Passover treat. This Bon Appétit recipe yields an ideal macaron: crunchy but airy on the outside and full of smooth, brightly-flavored ganache. Délicieux.

5. Deeply Chocolate Gelato

We all scream for ice cream. Especially since it's totally cool to eat for Passover (pun intended). This dark chocolate gelato recipe from Ina Garten is unbelievably creamy and delivers super intense, dark chocolate flavor tempered by plenty of sugar and vanilla.

So grab the best-quality dark chocolate you can find, get baking, and enjoy a much needed break from matzoh-centric desserts. Whether or not you're observing Passover, I can promise that these chocolatey treats are sure to satisfy even your most intense dessert cravings.