Buddha bowls, grain bowls, macro bowls...whatever you want to call them, these bowls are well-balanced, filling meals that come in so many different flavors! There's something for everyone. These bowls don't have to be just beans and rice, nor do they have to be instagram picture-perfect. There are plenty of delicious, easy-to-make bowls you can create that are cost and time effective. Here are some tips to make the perfect bowl: 

Get all your food groups in. Have a solid carbohydrate base whether thats rice, quinoa, faro, barley, noodles, potatoes, or alike. Greens, sautéed spinach, and kale are great for warmer dishes and fresh lettuce is good for more salad-like macro bowls. Add in fun vegetables and fruits. Go crazy with all of the different choices!

Eating seasonally is a great way to try out new foods, whether you do it by supporting local farms by shopping in the farmers market or participating in a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) with a weekly produce box delivery. If you opt for a CSA share, there's often fun and unexpected things included. I recently discovered garlic scapes, which are a fun leek-like vegetable that have a strong garlic flavor and are great when grilled.

Remember to include protein, whether that's a meat source or vegetarian/vegan protein in the form of beans, tofu/tempeh, seitan, or nuts. And finally-toppings! Add some sauces, seeds, pickled goods, or whatever you desire! The best part about macro-bowls is you can get really creative every time you make these bowls. You can also use whatever leftovers are in your fridge to throw something together quickly. (PS: it doesn't actually have to be in a bowl). Below are five of my favorite vegan macro to give you some inspiration!

And finally-toppings! Add some sauces, seeds, pickled goods, or whatever you desire! The best part about macro-bowls is you can get really creative every time you make these bowls. You can also use whatever leftovers are in your fridge to throw something together quickly. (PS: it doesn't actually have to be in a bowl). Below are five of my favorite vegan macro to give you some inspiration!

Burrito Bowl

Mackenzie Laverick

Made with scrambled tofu and spicy black beans, roasted pepper, rice, lettuce, salsa, avocado, and vegan sour cream.

Mediterranean Bowl

Mackenzie Laverick

Made with grilled tofu or canelli beans, diced tomatoes, mixed greens, quinoa, bruschetta seasoning, avocado and feta salad dressing or lemon vinaigrette for a dairy-free alternative. Add some pumpkin seeds, sprouts, and sunflower seeds on top! You can also make this with falafel (sooo good) or top with hummus. 

Savory Tempeh Mushroom Bowl

Mackenzie Laverick

Made with roasted mushrooms, sautéed kale, smoky tempeh, mushroom risotto, and grilled onions. This one is super quick and easy, especially if you use insta-rice or leftover rice. Sauté everything (except rice) over medium-high heat for 15 minutes with soy sauce, paprika, turmeric, chili powder, garlic (or garlic powder), and a dash of salt if needed.  

Summer Garden Bowl

Photo by Taylor Kiser on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

Made with fresh lettuce, black bean burger crumbles, cucumber, peas, peppers and an Italian or strawberry vinaigrette.  Serve with a fresh fruit side salad containing sliced strawberries, watermelon, peaches, blueberries, and blackberries. Top with a dab of (DF) plain or vanilla yogurt to make it creamier. (You can also combine both of these salads but maybe skip the peppers if you do). 

Curried Chickpea Bowl

Mackenzie Laverick

Made with roasted chickpeas, the curry of your choice with lots of vegetables, spinach, and white rice. Another super easy, versatile recipe, use whatever instant curry sauce you have or make your own with either a tomato, peanut butter, or coconut milk base. Get the recipe for this delicious bowl here.

Hope you enjoy and try out some of these fun recipes!