The holiday season is here, but if you're in college that means so are finals! Enjoying a warm dessert is one of the many perfect ways to de-stress and enjoy the cold weather outside.  This homemade banana bread recipe has been passed down through my family since the late 60's and has a special place in my heart.  Simple ingredients and that classically sweet yet buttery tasty make up your next favorite banana bread recipe.  Just trust me.

Classic Banana Bread

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 2 eggs
  • 2-3 bananas mashed
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • a handful walnuts if you prefer
cake, sweet, bread, pastry, toast, chocolate
Katherine O'Malley

Preheat the oven to 350°

coffee, tea, kettle, beer
    Emma Salters

Take the bananas and mash them in a separate bowl until they are at a smooth consistency

sweet, banana, bread
    Samantha Pollock

In a large bowl, add and mix the ingredients in this specific order:
    Sugar
    Shortening
    Eggs
    The banana mixture
    Flour
    Baking Soda
    Salt
    (add the nuts now if you desire)
    Mix all the ingredients until a it is a homogenous mixture

sweet, bread, cookie, pastry
    Spoon Csu

Grease a 5x8 baking dish with cooking spray, then pour the mix in. Bake for 30 mins or until a toothpick can be stuck through and remains dry.

bread, chocolate, cake, sweet
    Jennifer Elias

Allow to cool for 1 hour, then cut and serve!

bread, brown bread, sweet, chocolate, cake, wheat, pastry, rye bread
    Helena Lin

This banana bread is best served with a spread of your favorite butter spread or this amazing chocolate peanut butter spread.  Share it with your friends, family, or just to treat yourself.  It is best stored in a cool spot and lasts up to two weeks! (If you haven't eaten it all by then;).