Add this to your list of favorite squash recipes. Squash is just one of the many staple ingredients associated with fall. This warm spinach salad slightly wilts under the baked acorn squash. The olive oil and maple mixture doubles as a dressing, accented with crunchy toasted almonds, tangy blue cheese and dried cherries. While this recipe calls for toasted almonds and dried cherries, pecans and dried figs would be another exceptional flavor profile.

Wilted Acorn Squash Salad with Maple Brown Sugar

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:1 hour and 15 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour and 35 minutes

• 1 half of acorn squash
  • 1.5 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 1.5 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
  • 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
  • 2 cup spinach
  • 2 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese
  • 2 tablespoon dried cherries
  • 1 tablespoon toasted almonds
Photo by Ellen Gibbs

Preheat your oven to 400°F. Cut half an inch of the bottom of the squash to keep it from rolling. Lightly score the inside of the squash with a paring knife.

Photo by Ellen Gibbs

Mix the vinegar, maple syrup, olive oil and sugar. Brush on the inside of the squash. 

Photo by Ellen Gibbs

Pour any remaining liquid into the bowl of the squash. Place the sprigs of thyme inside the squash. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes in an oven-safe baking dish. Use a water bath in the bottom of the dish, about 1 inch.

Photo by Ellen Gibbs

While the squash is cooling, toast the sliced almonds over medium heat, until lightly golden, about 5 to 7 minutes.

Photo by Ellen Gibbs

Toss the spinach, dried cherries and blue cheese in a bowl. Top with squash and sprinkle with toasted almonds. Serve immediately.

Photo by Ellen Gibbs