Recently, a new type of ice cream rolled its way into the spotlight. It’s called rolled ice cream, and it’s the newest addition to a list of trendy Instagrammable foods in NYC.

You can thank Thailand for their delicious contribution. Normally, it’s made by pouring a liquid ice cream mixture, along with other mix-ins, onto an metal plate reaching temperatures below 0 degrees Fahrenheit (brrr, that’s cold). From there, it’s crushed, smashed, and mashed together as the plate cools the mixture into a creamy ice cream. Slather it across the plate into a thin rectangular sheet, and then the magic happens as the scrappers create rolled up bundles of ice cream goodness.

This recipe is a more dumbed down version, but it works. Feel free to change up the recipe however you like. Instead of Oreos and brownies, you can even use fruit. Not everyone has an anti-griddle lying around, so any steel pan or possibly a steel baking sheet could work; remember to adjust the recipe accordingly. Most importantly, make sure your mixture is in the freezer long enough for it to set. It melts fast, so make sure the room is as cool as possible.

Now it’s time to roll out, start making, and remember to enjoy that rolled ice cream before it melts.

Oreo & Brownie Rolled Ice Cream

• Prep Time:4 hours
  • Cook Time:5 minutes
  • Total Time:4 hours 15 minutes

• 5.5 tablespoon whole milk
  • 8 tablespoon heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 pinch salt
  • 2 Oreos
  • 2 pieces of brownie
  • Whipped cream
Photo by Sheng Lin

Combine ingredients in a pot/pan and stir.

GIF by Sheng Lin

Let it sit on the stove until it boils.

GIF by Sheng Lin

Pour the boiled mixture into a 9-inch steel pan (avoid coated skillets/pans).

GIF by Sheng Lin

Add an Oreo and a brownie.

GIF by Sheng Lin

Use your scrapers to crush the Oreo and brownie until it’s well-incorporated into the mixture.

GIF by Sheng Lin

Pour half the mixture into another 9-inch steel pan.

GIF by Sheng Lin

Freeze for 4 Hours.
    #SpoonTip: Try to place your pans flat in the freezer. Freezing times vary, so also make sure your mixture is set and completely frozen before taking it out.

GIF by Sheng Lin

Bring out the pans and begin scraping the ice cream off in a horizontal motion across the pan.
    #SpoonTip: Keep your scrapers steady at around a 45 degree angle. Also, make sure the room temperature is as low as possible.

GIF by Sheng Lin

Plate up your beautiful rolls. Then, top it off with an Oreo, a brownie, and some whipped cream.

Gif by Sheng Lin