Every time I step out of my house at 8 a.m., I always look like a Weather Channel storm chaser who’s just seen the eye of the hurricane. I never have time for breakfast. But with these little muffins, I can grab one to go and still get my coffee buzz on.
Warning: tread lightly when sharing with friends. Everyone loves chocolate in the morning and when sharing a freshly made batch, people may begin to fight Hunger Games-style to get the chance to eat the last muffin. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 1 ½ Servings
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour plus 1 tablespoon
1 ½ cup cake flour
1 tablespoons baking powder
½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons espresso powder
10 tablespoons light butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 ½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
1 ½ cup dark chocolate chips
1. Line muffin pan with muffin liners and preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Combine both flours in a large bowl. Whisk in baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder. Set the bowl aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add in the eggs one at a time until each are incorporated. Then, add in the yogurt and mix.
5. In three additions, add in the flour mixture until well combined.
6. Lightly coat chocolate chips in 1 tablespoon of flour, then add to the mixture and fold in using a spatula.
7. Using a small ice cream scoop, spoon the batter into the muffin liners.
8. Bake for 25–30 minutes until muffins are golden brown.