Summer is here and with it comes healthier and brighter versions of your favorite meals. I suggest you start by taking your leftover packets of ramen and transforming them into a unique ingredient inside of a vibrant salad. When crushed and toasted you will find that ramen can offer a lot of flavor and texture that wouldn’t normally be found in a bowl of soup.

Of course the other ingredients that you choose to use in your salad are totally up to you, but I’ve gone ahead and laid out an array of tasty and nutritionally complete fruits, vegetables and proteins that are shown in the following recipe.

Ramen Salad

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:0 minutes
  • Total Time:20 minutes
  • Servings:About six

• 1 packet of ramen
  • 2/3 cup olive oil
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
  • 1 bag slaw mix
  • 1 avocado, peeled and cubed
  • 1 cup edamame, shelled and cooked
  • 1 apple, cubed
  • 1 cup cashews, chopped
  • 1 bunch scallions, julienned
Photo by Max Faucher

Grab the packet of ramen and pound it a few times with your hands or a textbook to crush it into medium sized pieces. Pour the pieces on to a baking tray and throw away the flavor packet; we don’t need any of that processed nonsense. Toast the ramen in the oven at 400 degrees for around 10 minutes.

Gif By Maxwell Faucher

Build the dressing by combining the olive oil, honey, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and pepper.

Gif By Maxwell Faucher

In a large bowl, add the slaw mix followed by the toasted ramen, avocado, apples, edamame, and cashews. Toss to combine.

Gif By Maxwell Faucher

Serve in bowls topped with scallions and dressing.

Gif By Maxwell Faucher