When it’s your turn to make dessert for Easter dinner, there are plenty of Easter-themed treats and candies that are sure to please the crowds. But why settle for ordinary when you could strive for the eggs-traordinary? In a dozen easy steps, you can make mini, perfectly egg-shaped cakes by substituting eggshells for cupcake liners. Here’s how:

Medium

Prep Time: 50 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour and 10 Minutes

Servings: 6 individual cakes

6 eggs, 3 eggs will be used for batter and all shells will be used
1 box of Funfetti Cake Mix
1 cup water for batter
1/3 cup oil for cake batter, 1/2 cup oil for rinsing eggshells
4 cups salt water

Supplies:
6 sheets of aluminum Foil
1 gallon-sized Ziploc bag
1 pair of scissors
1 muffin tin

1. Polk a hole in the top of each egg using a thumb tack. The hole should be big enough for the whites and yolks to be drained.

eggshell cakes

Photo by Jiani Qu

2. Drain the egg whites and egg yolks from each egg. Be sure to set aside the number of eggs you need for your batter.

eggshell cakes

Photo by Jiani Qu

3. Rinse the eggshells with tap water and let them soak in salt water for 30 minutes.

eggshell cakes

Photo by Jiani Qu

4. While the eggshells are soaking, preheat your oven and make your cake batter.

5. Line each compartment of a muffin tin with aluminum foil.

eggshell cakes

Photo by Jiani Qu

6.  Rinse the eggshells with tap water once more then rinse with oil so that the cake doesn’t stick.

7. Pour batter into Ziploc bag and cut off a very small piece of one corner for the best make-shift piping bag around.

8. Once the eggshells are in the pan, pipe cake batter into each one. Only fill each shell 3/4 of the way full.

eggshell cakes

Photo by Jiani Qu

9. Bake for roughly 20 minutes or until the toothpick test proves that the center is fully cooked. Don’t be alarmed if the batter overflows!

eggshell cakes

Photo by Jiani Qu

10. Once the cakes have cooled, remove excess cake with a knife.

eggshell cakes

Photo by Jiani Qu

11. Crack open, then, voila!

eggshell cakes

Photo By iani Qu

12. Leave the cakes as they are or let your friends and family decorate them with frosting and sprinkles.

Want to witness this process in real-time? Watch this Buzzfeed video.

Some eggs-tra articles to check out: