The day my friend Chloe showed me how to make a simple, healthier version of eggplant parmesan my life was changed. Since then, it has become one of my staple meals at home. This vegetarian dish is not only good for the world and good for my health, but also good for my wallet.

This recipe can be served as a main with a fresh baguette, pasta, or as a side for a potluck. When I make this eggplant parmesan with pasta I start by tossing al dente pasta with tomato sauce. Then, I pour the pasta into a baking pan and finish the dish with layers of eggplant, cheese and sauce.

In the recipe, I used a homemade tomato sauce, but you can always buy sauce if you are in a rush. Parmesan Reggiano may be expensive; however a little goes a long way, and it is a worthwhile investment. I like using mozzarella to layer as it melts into ooey gooey deliciousness and grate parmesan on to the top, which develops a beautiful crust as it browns in the oven.

Eggplant Parmesan

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:35 minutes
  • Total Time:40 minutes

• 1 eggplant
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon fine Italian herbs
  • 1/4 cup mozzarella, grated
  • Parmesan reggiano, grated
  • Chili flakes (optional)
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Olive oil
Photo by Helena Lin

Preheat the oven to 400ºF.

Cut the eggplant into 1/2 cm slices.

Photo by Helena Lin

In a bowl, combine the flour, fine Italian herbs, and season with salt and pepper.

#SpoonTip: if you are hesitant about your seasoning abilities, season the slices of eggplant with salt and pepper individually and combine the flour with just the fine Italian herbs 

Photo by Helena Lin

Coat each slice of eggplant with the seasoned flour.

Photo by Helena Lin

In a pan over medium high heat, sear the slices of eggplant in a little olive oil until lightly browned on each side.

Photo by Helena Lin

In an oven proof pan or dish, add a layer of tomato sauce.

Optional: add some chili flakes to the tomato sauce. 

Photo by Helena Lin

Place down a layer of eggplant, cover in some tomato sauce, and sprinkle on mozzarella cheese.

Photo by Helena Lin

For the last layer of eggplant, grate on a generous portion of parmesan reggiano cheese.

Photo by Helena Lin

Bake until the cheese is browned, about 20 minutes.

Photo by Helena Lin