Holiday season is upon us and in the spirit of the holidays, it’s festive cookie season.

The best part of making cookies is eating that bite of gooey dough before it heads into the oven, even if it means risking salmonella, because who really has the patience to wait all that time for the cookies to bake? Now you don’t have to wait or risk salmonella.

Enter edible peppermint hot chocolate cookie dough. This recipe combines all your favorite holiday flavors with your unstoppable temptation to consume raw cookie dough and it’s totally safe to eat because it’s eggless.

Edible Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cookie Dough

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:10 minutes
  • Total Time:20 minutes
  • Servings:15-20

• sticks of unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • ½ cup cocoa powder
  • ¼ cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cup all-purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • ½ cup white chocolate chips
  • 1 cup crushed candy canes
Photo by Ariel Coonin

In an electric mixer, whisk the softened butter and the brown and granulated sugars until smooth.

Whisk in the milk and vanilla extract until completely combined.

#SpoonTip: Swap out the vanilla extract for peppermint extract if you want your cookie dough to be extra minty.

Photo by Ariel Coonin

In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, and cocoa powder.

Photo by Ariel Coonin

While mixer is on, slowly add flour mixture and continue until all is combined and smooth. The mixture should be a medium brown color and resemble cookie dough at this point.

Photo by Ariel Coonin

Fold in chocolate and white chocolate chips and peppermint pieces with a spatula.

Photo by Ariel Coonin

You can eat the dough right out of the bowl or let it harden in the fridge for a few minutes so you can roll it into small ball portions for serving.

Photo by Ariel Coonin

If you’re feeling patient, you can pop the dough balls in the oven for 8-10 minutes and they bake into great cookies as well.

Photo by Ariel Coonin