The Vietnamese Coffee Brick Toast is a variation of a traditional Shibuya Honey Brick Toast, which is a dessert that originates from Japan. It has now gained popularity across all of Asia and is served in several Korean and Japanese cafes. The dessert consists of a toasted bread mold filled with bread cubes and various fruits or sweets. It is then topped off with some sort of ice cream, syrup, and wafer sticks. The good news is you don’t have to travel all the way to Asia for this impressive dessert, because it is relatively simple to make at home. Additionally, you can customize it anyway that you like. This Vietnamese coffee version replaces the honey with sweetened condensed milk and espresso powder. The bitterness of the espresso powder pairs well with sweet ice cream and bananas as well as tarty blueberries.

This glorious dessert is best enjoyed with other people. It’s fun, easy to put together, and can have numerous combinations of flavors. Try making your own version of Brick Toast today.

Vietnamese Coffee Brick Toast

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:8 minutes
  • Total Time:18 minutes

• 1 unsliced bread loaf
  • 1/3 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 banana
  • Blueberries
  • Ice cream
  • Sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 teaspoon espresso powder
Photo by Hui Lin

Cut the unsliced bread loaf so that you have roughly a 5 inch block. Cut out a square in the middle, leaving 1 inch from all edges. Slice through the bottom of one side to take out the middle section.

GIF by Hui Lin

Cut the middle section into cubes.

GIF by Hui Lin

Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.

GIF by Hui Lin

Spread the butter mixture onto the bread cubes and hollowed out bread.

GIF by Hui Lin

Bake the hollowed out bread and cubes at 360°F for 8 minutes or until golden brown.

GIF by Hui Lin

Fill the middle of the hollowed out bread with the toasted bread cubes and fruit of your choice.

GIF by Hui Lin

Top it off with some drizzled sweetened condensed milk, ice cream, and espresso powder. Serve immediately and enjoy.

GIF by Hui Lin