We’ve finally arrived at that sweet spot between Halloween and Christmas. Easily a foodie’s favorite holiday, Thanksgiving is the ultimate opportunity to indulge while being surrounded by loved ones. However, not everyone has the skill or time to whip up an elaborate feast. That’s why these simple Thanksgiving recipes are guaranteed to minimize prep time without sacrificing a scrumptious meal.

Roasted Vegetables

Surprise surprise, November is National Roasting Month. This means we have a couple of weeks to perfect our roasting skills before the holiday season. Vegetables are a foolproof way to practice—and a filling one, I might add. I personally prefer cooking broccoli, Brussels sprouts, potatoes, and carrots this way. But with a dash of olive oil and a teaspoon or two of minced garlic, any veggie can become a roasted home-run within minutes. Plus, tossing the vegetables into the oven is much less hands-on than constantly stirring them to fry in a pan.

If you want to add some color to the typically brown Thanksgiving setup, try opting for mini creamer potatoes. The red, purple, and golden bite-sized taters are almost too pretty to eat—almost. Season them with oregano, parsley, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese if you want to up your roasting game even more.

Blistered Green Beans

These three-ingredient green beans are a quick and easy way to add more greens to your holiday menu. The splash of soy sauce adds a salty kick that sets this dish apart from the usual casserole. Even after Thanksgiving, this side is a year-round staple in my family’s dinnertime spread.

#SpoonTip: Opt for a cast-iron skillet over a nonstick pan for this recipe. You’ll have a much easier time blistering the beans; trust me.

Glazed Carrots

Even more vegetables for sides? Some might be skeptical, but I promise this glazed carrots recipe is just what your Thanksgiving setup needs. Dinner tables are often flooded with decadent, savory flavors that make for a monotonous palate. To balance out that richness, these sweet yet tender carrots can be prepped and plated in under thirty minutes. Simply toss them into a pan with a can of ginger ale until reduced. The result is a flavor-packed glaze reminiscent of candied yams without nearly as much effort. A win-win for sure.

Air Fryer Chicken

To be frank, turkey was never my favorite. My mom’s recipe for air fryer chicken, though, is always a hit at our house. With crispy skin and juicy meat bursting with flavor, this dish checks all the boxes for a satisfying Thanksgiving main course. The subtle Filipino flare, attributed to the aromatic lemongrass and tangy calamansi, also makes the chicken taste that much more like home. Unlike turkey, there likely won’t be any leftovers after serving this.

Mom's Filipino Air Fried Chicken

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 10 mins

• 1.5 pound whole chicken
  • 1 cup soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons calamansi Filipino lime juice*
  • 4-5 cloves minced garlic
  • 2-3 stalks lemongrass
  • Black pepper to season
turkey, meat
Sydney Segal

Directions

1. Remove the chicken’s giblets if not already removed.

2. Stuff the cavity with lemongrass.

3. To make the marinade, combine the soy sauce, calamansi juice, minced garlic, and black pepper.

4. Thoroughly coat the chicken in the marinade.

5. Let the chicken sit in the marinade & refrigerate overnight in a sealed container.

6. When ready to cook, spray the air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray.

7. Place the chicken breast side down in the basket. Pour half of the marinade that’s in the container over the chicken and cook at 360 degrees F for 50 minutes.

8. Flip the chicken breast side up and pour the remaining marinade over the chicken. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes before carving.

#SpoonTip: No Filipino—or Filipino-inspired—dish is complete without rice!

Try out these Thanksgiving recipes to wow your loved ones this November. These holiday hacks are bound to boost your dinner game, too. Even though we’re all looking forward to the upcoming feast, sharing it with family and friends is by far the best part of the holiday.