The holiday season is full of yummy treats. Many of those treats are baked goods like pumpkin roll, breads and especially cookies! Sometimes, it's important to get creative with what you have.

The other day I was baking for Thanksgiving day with my mom. She pulled some puff pastry out of the fridge and asked what we should do with it. Knowing that pastry roll ups are popular right now, I decided that was what I was going to do. But what to fill it with?

Nutella and marshmallows seemed like a marvelous idea.

Homemade Nutella Marshmallow Roll Ups

• Puff pastry
  • Nutella
  • Mini marshmallows
  • 2 eggs
  • Powdered sugar
Kaitlyn Mulligan

Take the puff pastry out of the freezer and follow the directions on the package to defrost. You want the pastry to be defrosted enough to use, but still cool enough so it isn't sticky.
    Honestly, this was the most difficult part of the process. Food Network stars make working with puff pastry look SO easy. Just make sure it's the right temperature when you're working with it and you should (keyword: should) be fine.

Kaitlyn Mulligan

Pre-heat the oven to 415°. Cut the puff pastry sheet into six pieces longways.

Kaitlyn Mulligan

Spread Nutella onto the pastry and sprinkle it with mini marshmallows.

Kaitlyn Mulligan

Roll up the pastry. Then, cut in half so you have two little cinnamon bun-looking treats.

Kaitlyn Mulligan

Whisk the eggs with a fork. Place the pastries into a cupcake tin. Brush the egg mixture onto the top and sides of the roll-ups.

Kaitlyn Mulligan

Place the cupcake tin in the pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes or until they are a light brown on the outside.

Kaitlyn Mulligan

Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!

Kaitlyn Mulligan

They turned out delicious! They were melty and gooey and warm...exactly what a holiday treat should be!

It's important to keep in mind that I am not usually a baker. I tend to shy away from baked desserts besides cookies because I always end up messing up somehow. But this dessert, besides dealing with the puff pastry at first, was easy and fun. 

Kaitlyn Mulligan

Next time you find puff pastry in your freezer and don't know what to do with it, consider a pastry roll up! You can fill them with whatever you want and they turn out flaky, warm and sweet. I strongly recommend them, especially if you don't have time to bake a full cake or a batch of cookies.

Sometimes the best things aren't planned or from a recipe!