College life is hard. You're usually broke, and often lazy. For me, going out or ordering in isn't something I can afford to do on a regular basis. But between my lazy days are those when I feel like cooking and pretending I'm a chef. I tend to stick to go-to dishes that I know how to make, so I don't end up ordering after failing to create a dish. My favorite go-to is mac n' cheese.  It's super easy, cheap, and you can never go wrong with cheese. 

Most of the time, my eyes are bigger than my stomach, and I usually have leftovers for days. Which isn't too bad, as it saves me the trouble of cooking for a day or two. But, even as it sits in my fridge, I usually don't eat it and it goes in the trash.

And this is how mac n' cheese bread pockets came into my life. Sigh. They take no time to prepare and will be done before you know it.

Mac N' Cheese Bread Pockets

• 2 whole eggs
  • 8 slices white bread
  • mac n' cheese
sweet, coffee, milk
Aisha Wahab

Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Then, decrust the bread slices using a cookie cutter with a diameter larger enough to get most of the bread surface. I didn't have one, so I used a steel bowl, which worked just fine.

cake, pastry, chocolate, candy, bread, sweet, cookie
    Aisha Wahab

Use a rolling pin to flatten the decrusted bread slices to create an even surface.

rye, dairy product, toast, dough, cereal, flour, wheat, bread
    Aisha Wahab

Crack the eggs in a separate bowl and whisk them until the egg whites are thoroughly mixed with the yolk.

soup
    Aisha Wahab

Brush the egg mixture over a slice of bread to help it stick to another slice.

toast, dairy product, bread
    Aisha Wahab

Scoop a little mac n' cheese onto the first bread slice, and cover it with another. Then brush the egg mixture on again, over the bread pocket.

bread
    Aisha Wahab

Taking a fork, press the tines on the edges of the pocket to seal it.

cake, sweet, dairy product, flour, bread
    Aisha Wahab

Lay the pockets on a baking tray and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or until you see the tops turning golden brown. Once done, sprinkle crushed pepper over the pockets and serve hot!

cheese, pie
    Aisha Wahab

The next time that you have leftover mac&cheese and want to do something fun and new with it, try this recipe. I promise you won't be disappointed.