When tomato sauce is so easily bought in a jar at any grocery store, the thought of making your own can seem like unnecessary work. Contrary to popular opinion, cooking pasta sauce does not have to be as complicated or time-consuming as you’d think. This simple sauce can be made on even the busiest of weeknights as a hearty accompaniment to your homework.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 gloves garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 10-ounce packages of grape or cherry tomatoes of any color
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (or a mixture of oregano, rosemary and thyme)
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan.
2. Mince garlic, dice onion and sauté in pan for about 5 minutes, or until onions are soft.
3. Add tomatoes and all spices to pan and combine until fully incorporated.
4. Turn heat down and simmer tomatoes for 10 minutes.
5. Crush tomatoes with a utensil (like a wooden spoon) in the pan and simmer for 10-15 more minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
6. Serve on top of pasta and enjoy!