I love pasta, but gluten is my enemy. This recipe completely solved that tragedy for me; recipe made with Banza chickpea pasta. It is the BOMB. Chickpea pasta has added protein in it and is a great pasta alternative if you are gluten free. It can also be hard having a gluten sensitivity in college, but cooking homemade meals makes it much easier. The only issue is the amount of time cooking at home requires. But never fear, if you are pressed for time, this is my go-to meal under 25 minutes. 

Creamy Mushroom Pasta

• 1 box Banza chickpea pasta
  • 2 handfuls white mushrooms
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove minced
  • Juice 1 lemon
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 1-2 tablespoons basil pesto
  • 1 handful spinach
  • 1-2 tablespoons parmesan
  • Salt and pepper
Anne Tavierne

First, sauté your mushrooms. The more, the merrier; I sauté about two big handfuls of white mushrooms. You will want to wash and cut your mushrooms into slices. Meanwhile, start heating a saucepan on medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add your mushrooms and a little bit of water. The mushrooms will soak up the water and once the water has simmered, add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. After this, turn down the heat to low.

Anne Tavierne

Once your mushrooms are perfectly sautéed, add 1 clove of garlic minced to the pan, as well as the juice of 1 lemon. You can add some lemon zest if you like extra lemon flavor. After about 5 minutes, add 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and 1-2 tablespoons of basil pesto and a handful of spinach.

Anne Tavierne

Homemade basil pesto recipe:
    In a blender, 3 handfuls of fresh basil, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons of pine nuts, and parmesan to your liking. Then, add salt and pepper to taste.

Anne Tavierne

Let the sauce simmer while cooking your chickpea pasta. I like to use Banza’s chickpea pasta. First, boil salted water and add the whole box of pasta. Lower heat and let cook until your liking.

Anne Tavierne

As the pasta is finishing, add a handful or two of spinach into the saucepan. Add your pasta with a tablespoon of pasta water. Mix and add to plate. Add parmesan to taste on top and you’re done!

Anne Tavierne

I hope you enjoy one of my favorite go-to meals that is high in protein and gluten free. Share your go-to meals with us!