Homemade jelly desserts are not just for children. These soft and silky treats are easy to make and always a favorite at parties and potlucks for all ages. Before you dive into making these coconut jelly dessert that does not require a special occasion, you should know that this simple recipe uses agar agar.

What is agar agar?

Unlike your traditional jelly recipe that calls for gelatin, agar agar is the perfect substitute for traditional gelatin when you want to take your desserts to the next level. Just like gelatin, it solidifies liquid. Whereas gelatin is a protein extracted from animal sources, agar agar is a semi-translucent gelatinous substance that is obtained from algae, so it is vegetarian and vegan-friendly.

Agar agar, unlike gelatin, needs to be boiled first and can set very quickly at room temperature. But still stash the dessert in the fridge to chill and firm, because agar agar is a high protein food. After taking the jelly out of the fridge, it holds its shape on warm days due to agar agar's high melting point of 85°C. This also contributes to its firmer texture.

In this recipe, the agar agar jelly is very smooth and not too sweet, with a subtle mix of coconut water, coconut milk, and milk. What an absolutely refreshing treat and let’s not wait any longer to make this fresh coconut jelly dessert!

Fresh Coconut Jelly

• Prep Time:2 hrs
  • Total Time:2 hrs 15 mins

• 2 cups fresh coconut water
  • 1/4 cup agar agar powder
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 2 tablespoons milk
Abbie Hui

Cut a lid on the coconut and pour out its water into a measuring cup. You might need more than one fresh coconut.

Abbie Hui

Add 2 cups coconut water and 1/4 cup agar agar powder into a saucepan. Cook on medium high heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a full boil.

Abbie Hui

Turn off heat and add 1 cup coconut milk and 2 tablespoons milk. Mix well and remove saucepan from heat.

Abbie Hui

Pour mixture immediately into molds and refrigerate for about 2 hours until firm.

Abbie Hui

These delicious smooth treats only take four ingredients and about 15 minutes to get them all prepared to solidify. Then just stash them in the fridge for a minimum of two hours, and they are ready to be devoured! A great alternative to gelatin, these agar agar coconut jelly is a refreshing treat for sure to bring to parties and potluck for everyone to enjoy on any occasion.