If you grew up in a Chinese household, then you've probably had a Chinese marbled tea egg before. These boiled eggs are steeped in liquids of soy sauce and other ingredients for a long time before being eaten. The great thing about tea eggs is that they can be great for breakfast, part of your dinner, and a great snack.

Well if you ever have a craving for these eggs, you don't have to go out and buy them anymore as you can now make them yourself! If you don't have all the ingredients, try this recipe, inspired by Chinese Grandma to make your own Chinese tea eggs. Other recipes add a bunch of other ingredients that add more depth of flavor, but if you don't have any of the other ingredients that's totally fine. This recipe still makes flavorful Chinese marbled tea eggs. 

Easy Chinese Marbled Tea Eggs

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 12 mins

• 3 whole Star Anise
  • 10-12 eggs depending on how big your pot is
  • 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
  • 4 Black Tea Bags
  • Cinnamon sticks - optional
  • Orange peels - optional
  • Salt - optional
  • Sugar - optional
Sabrina Yu

Place eggs in the pot and make one layer. Try not to have the eggs on top of each other. Pour water to cover the eggs. Put pot on medium heat on the stove until a rolling boil, and then simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.

Sabrina Yu

Take pot off the stove and cool the eggs with running water. When the eggs are cool to touch, crack each egg all over with the back of the spoon.

Sabrina Yu

Cover eggs with water again. Add 1/2 cup of soy sauce and 3 whole star anise in the pot.

Sabrina Yu

Open the tea bags and dump the tea leaves in the pot. Add any optional ingredients you have.

Sabrina Yu

Put pot back on stove on high heat until rolling boil. Turn to low heat and keep pot simmering for one hour. After an hour, turn off heat and let eggs steep in the liquid. The longer you keep the eggs in the liquid, the more flavorful they will be.

Sabrina Yu

Peel the eggs and enjoy!

Sabrina Yu