I don't know if you're anything like me, but I love to bake at any time.  Being home for going on 7 weeks now (!!!), I have been craving this more than anything, which is part of the reason that I discovered this incredible banana crumb cake recipe.  My mom and I made it first together, following this recipe, which turned out incredible.  The next time I made it, I adjusted some things, and also thought about ways that it could be adapted for different diets.  If you don't eat eggs or dairy, a simple substitution could be plain non-dairy yogurt in place of the sour cream, applesauce instead of eggs, and a non-dairy butter. 

This banana crumb cake recipe is simple enough that I think anyone could make it, but yields incredible results.  This can last up to 3 days at room temperature or 3 months frozen. (as if it will go uneaten for that long...)

Banana Crumb Cake

• BATTER:
  • 1/2 cup softened butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 ripe bananas mashed
  • 2 large eggs or 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream or plain yogurt
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • TOPPING:
  • 1/4 cup softened butter
  • 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Sarah McAtee

Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 9'"x13" pan. Set aside.

Sarah McAtee

Combine softened butter and sugar with mixer or by hand in a bowl or until well combined. Add mashed bananas, eggs, vanilla and sour cream.

Sarah McAtee

Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined, being careful not to overmix. I would highly recommend combining dry ingredients SLOWLY, so this does not happen to you. Lumps are okay! Pour into greased pan and set aside while you prepare the topping.

Sarah McAtee

Combine all topping ingredients in another small bowl. I find it easiest to use my fingertips to break up the butter and combine everything to get a fine mixture. You want there to still be crumbles of butter and sugar, so make sure it is not a paste. Pour the topping over the batter in an even layer.

Sarah McAtee

Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Serve warm, or cool and cover.

Sarah McAtee