I’m a middle child. And I am fully aware that there is a lot of stigma attached with being “caught in the middle.” People assume that I often feel neglected or harbor resentment toward my older or younger sibling.  But being the second of three children has actually worked out for me.  My parents got most of the child-rearing kinks out with their first attempt, and having a younger sister means there’s someone that I get to boss around who looks up to me. All in all, being a middle child hasn’t been too bad.

As the middle child, I’ve always felt a kinship with sandwich cookies. Just think about it, what’s the best part of the cookie? What part do people eat first? What part do people wish there was more of? The middle! The crumbly, cookie ends? Merely a vehicle for the delicious center. The creamy frosting is sweet and beloved by all, so yeah, we have a lot in common.

These double chocolate sandwich cookies remind me of Little Debbie Fudge Rounds, the ones I would fight my siblings for a piece of when I was six. The cookie is crisp on the outside with a chewy, oh-so-chocolatey center and the chocolate cream cheese frosting is tangy and not too sweet. Think of this as the grown-up, super successful and well-off counterpart to Little Debbie.

Advanced Course

Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 43 minutes

Servings: 12 large sandwiches

Cookies:
¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup cocoa

Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup heavy cream, divided

1. Preheat oven to 350˚F . Line baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda and cocoa. Set aside.
3. In separate bowl, mix butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until thick and fluffy, about another 2 minutes.
4.  In three batches, combine the dry ingredients with the wet, making sure the first batch is thoroughly incorporated before adding the next. Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary.
5. Scoop prepared dough by round tablespoons onto prepared cookie sheets. Flatten slightly with fingertips.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 6 – 8 minutes or until tops of cookies are set and cracked.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool on pan for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
8. While cookies are cooling, mix butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer in bowl until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
9. Add 1 cup powdered sugar, the vanilla, and 2 tablespoons heavy cream and SLOWLY blend until combined.
10. Add 1 more cup powdered sugar and the remaining 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and blend until smooth.
11. Add remaining powdered sugar slowly until desired consistency for frosting is reached.
12. Top cooled cookie with dollop of frosting and another cookie, creating a sandwich.  Cookies can be stored in airtight container for up to 3 days.