We’ve all seen those gorgeous rainbow and ombre colored layer cakes but they always seem so difficult to make. Well, you’d actually be surprised how easy it is to make these cakes. All you need is some food coloring, some cake mix and a little creativity. Now get to work and start impressing all your friends you rascal 😉
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 1 ½ hours
Total Time: 2 ½ hours
2 boxes XO Baking Co. Vanilla Cake Mix
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups milk
1 ½ cups butter
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 pack food coloring
2 containers of your favorite frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix the cake mix, vegetable oil and butter until crumbs are formed.
3. Add eggs.
4. Add milk.
5. Add vanilla extract.
6. Mix together until batter is free of lumps.
7. Evenly divide the batter into 5 different bowls. Each bowl will be for each layer of cake. With your food coloring, put several drops of dye into each batter until you reach your preferred color.
8. Cover cake pan with butter.
9. Add batter to cake pan (if you only have one pan, you can bake one cake at a time).
10. Bake each cake for 10-15 minutes.
11. Let each cake cool down for 10 minutes.
12. In reverse rainbow order, starting with blue, take your frosting and start to assemble the cake layer by layer.
13. Keep piling it up. The order should be blue, green, yellow, orange, red.
13. Cover cake with frosting.
14. Add colored sprinkles.
15. Serve and enjoy a piece of pigmented sweetness.
For more deliciously accessible cake inspired recipes: