Studying for finals means we all just need quick, filling snacks. But most of the packaged snacks students usually grab are loaded with sugar and filled with unpronounceable ingredients. By replacing butter with applesauce, maple syrup and honey for white sugar and adding a hint of pumpkin for a seasonal taste, this recipe gives you 8 healthy granola bars that you can tuck in your bag as fuel for each day of finals week. PS – they’re vegan and gluten-free, too.

Medium

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes

1/3 cup pumpkin purée
1/4 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 cup honey or sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spices (i.e. cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger)
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup toppings of choice (i.e. chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, almonds, dried fruit)

Photo by Parisa Soraya

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8-inch baking pan (or another pan of similar size).
2. In a large bowl, mix pumpkin, applesauce, maple syrup, honey and spices until combined.

Photo by Parisa Soraya

3. Add in your choice of toppings.

Photo by Parisa Soraya

4. Stir in the oats and let sit for 5 minutes.

Photo by Parisa Soraya

5. Pour the granola into the baking pan and press it in firmly. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until lightly brown.

Photo by Parisa Soraya

6. Let the granola cool completely to prevent it from breaking. Tip: refrigerate to cool them down quicker.
7. Cut out granola bars and wrap in parchment paper or plastic wrap for an on-the-go snack.

Photo by Parisa Soraya