Meet the recipe that achieves the miraculous feat of being low-calorie, low-sugar, high-fiber and full of proteins and healthy fats while somehow also being super flavorful.

It’s perfect for sneaking into the library and eating on the DL as you try to cram or replenish your body with all the nutrients that party from last night drained. The only skills required for this recipe are the ability to mush, chop, and mix. And because it stores really well, it’ll last a good week or two (assuming you don’t eat it all in one sitting because, tbh, it’s that good).

Put it on pita, mix it with some greens (if you are one of those leaf-loving people) or eat it right from the container (my personal favorite); the options are endless. You might’ve failed the bio midterm you were cramming for or sent some questionable Snapchats a la gin, but at least you conquered the healthy eating game.

Chickpea Tabbouleh Salad

• Prep Time:20-30 minutes
  • Cook Time:0 minutes
  • Total Time:20-30 minutes
  • Servings:4-8

• 2 15 oz. cans of chickpeas
  • 2 large tomatoes
  • 2 ribs of celery
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 5 radishes
  • 1 cup fresh parsley (a bit less than half of one of a bunch)
  • 1 cup fresh mint
  • 1/2 cup green onions (about 6 stalks)
  • 3 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

Drain and wash chickpeas.

Mash chickpeas in a large bowl. Smash them all, leave it semi-clumpy, up to you.

#SpoonTip: In the words of Thug Kitchen, “Use a fork, a potato masher, your fists, whatever you got” – they all work.

Photo by Liz Joyce

Chop all the vegetables and add to the bowl.

Photo by Liz Joyce

Add the oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and mix, then enjoy!

Photo by Liz Joyce