I was immediately intrigued when I first heard of the concept of a breakfast cookie. It sounded like a dream come true.
It’s easy to opt for a grab and go breakfast pastry and a coffee when you’re in a rush. The reality is, most muffins and croissants are packed with calories and are seriously lacking on the nutritional benefits.
If you’re craving sweets in the morning, making your own breakfast is the way to go. These cookies will keep you full throughout the morning with almond butter, banana and oats. They will also keep you from dozing off during your lecture thanks to the coffee and dark chocolate. Who knew eating cookies could be so beneficial?!
This recipe is super easy and doesn’t require any fancy equipment, so you can whip them up and have breakfast for the whole week in a few simple steps.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
Total Time: 25-30 minutes
Serving Size: 12 cookies
2 very ripe bananas
1 tablespoon melted butter
2 tablespoons almond butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 heaping tablespoon ground coffee
1 cup flour
1 ¹⁄² cups oats
1/4 cup dark chocolate chunks
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a cookie sheet.
2. Using a fork, mash one banana together with the almond butter and melted butter in a medium sized mixing bowl.
3. Add second banana and sugar and mix until ingredients are incorporated and bananas are as mashed as possible. Small chunks are okay, adding the bananas one at a time makes it a bit easier to mash them thoroughly.
4. Add baking soda, vanilla, the egg and coffee to the bowl and incorporate with the mixture.
5. Once mixed, add the oats and flour and stir with the fork until the ingredients are just combined, with no dry oats or flour left.
6. Stir in the chocolate chunks.
7. Using a spoon, place heaping scoops onto the cookie sheet then press down on the mounds with the back of the spoon to flatten them.
Bake for about 10 minutes or until they are just golden brown. They are best served warm so eat right away or reheat in the microwave in the morning and enjoy!