Mardi Gras is a time reserved for overdoing it– whether it be while dancing, celebrating, or eating. King cake is a classic, but if you're looking for next level decadence, look no further than this decadent Brazilian cake from a country known for its famously crazy Carnival celebrations. Covered in a sauce made from Brazil's national dessert of choice, brigadeiro, this decadent cake is sure to help you celebrate the right way this Mardi Gras. 

Brigadeiro Marble Cake

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 50 mins

• 2 cups sugar
  • 1 stick butter cubed
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tbs baking powder
  • 2 tbs cocoa powder
  • 1 can condensed milk
  • 1/2 can milk or heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tbs butter
  • sprinkles for decoration
chocolate cake, pudding, cake, chocolate

In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, and eggs with an electric mixer until very smooth and creamy, about 3 to 4 minutes. While you continue the beating, add the milk a little at a time.
    Beat for another minute or so. In another bowl, stir together the flour and baking powder.

dairy product, cream, milk

Add this to the milk mixture– in 3 or 4 portions– and beat just until everything is combined. Now, grease a large (12-cup) bundt pan and pour about 1/2 of the batter into the pan.

cheese
    Isabel Bowman

Add the chocolate into the remaining batter, and beat with the mixer just until blended. Spoon the chocolate batter into the pan over the white batter.
    Using a spatula or knife, gently swirl the two batters together– don't blend them, you just want a marbled effect.

cream, milk, chocolate
    Isabel Bowman

Bake at 350°F for 40 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick poked into the thickest part of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for about half an hour before attempting to remove it from the pan.

bread, cookie, cake, pastry, chocolate, sweet

While the cake is cooling prepare the Brigadeiro topping by mixing all ingredients (except for the choc. sprinkles) in a heavy 2-quart sauce pan at low heat.

Using a wooden spatula, keep stirring the Brigadeiro until thick (5 to 10 minutes). Cover the cake and use the sprinkles to decorate. You can also cut the cake in half with a serrated knife and put some of the sauce in the middle of the cake for ultra decadence.

pudding, chocolate cake, cake, chocolate

Try to go easy on this cake, but if you simply can't hold yourself back from eating more slices than you'd like, don't worry– it's Mardi Gras, and "treat yourself" is definitely the motto.