If you're up for a new type of chewy dessert, try this three-colored dango recipe. Dango is a type of sweet Japanese dumpling that's typically served on a skewer. It's usually sweetened by using rice flour as the base. There are many types of different dangos, but this recipe is a simple version of Hanami dango. This dango is made and eaten during the Sakura viewing season and comes in three colors, usually white, green, and pink. This dango recipe only requires five ingredients and takes just 15 minutes to make. The chewy sweetness pairs perfectly with some afternoon tea and good weather vibes.

3-Colored Dango

• Prep Time:10 secs
  • Cook Time:5 secs
  • Total Time:15 secs

• 160 g Mochiko sweet rice flour
  • 60 g sugar
  • 120 mL hot water
  • 1 teaspoon Matcha powder
  • Red food coloring
tea, mochi, egg
Photo by Hui Lin

Combine the Mochiko powder and sugar in a bowl. Add in hot water little by little and mix with your hands until the dough has the same consistency as an earlobe (a weird description, but the most commonly used in Japan for the perfect dango).

GIF by Hui Lin

Divide the dough into thirds. In the first portion, add the Matcha powder. Add water to the Matcha powder if needed to help it combine with the dough. In the second portion, add red food coloring and knead until the color is fully combined. Leave the last portion as is.

GIF by Hui Lin

Roll the dough mixture into 6 even balls. Boil the dango for 5 minutes. Once they float to the surface, they will be done.

GIF by Hui Lin

Let the dango cool in ice water. Place the dango onto skewers and serve.

GIF by Hui Lin