One of my favorite ways to mix things up in the kitchen without spending is by trying different spices. This recipe utilizes curry powder, which distinguishes many South Asian dishes, to add heat and flavor to otherwise plain rice and lentils. The resulting meal is simple to make yet filling and packed with unexpected flavor.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon curry powder
3/4 cup red lentils
1 cup white rice
3 cups water, chicken stock or vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan.
2. Sauté onion for 3-5 minutes, or until slightly brown around the edges.
3. Add curry powder, and sauté for one minute. This will wake up the oils and flavor inside the powder.
4. Add water or stock, and bring to a boil.
5. Add lentils and rice, and bring to a boil again.
6. Lower heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or all liquid is absorbed.
7. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.