With temperatures dropping and hibernation instincts kicking in, it’s time to bust out the slow cooker for some dense, hearty meals. Some people might tell you that investing in a slow-cooker is a waste of money and a waste of space–don’t listen to these people!

The Crock-Pot makes this white bean recipe cooked with sausage and vegetables a breeze even for those without the slightest idea how to cook; just throw the ingredients in the pot at lunchtime and they’ll be done by dinner. Pair with a loaf of crusty bread and a glass of dry white wine to complete the meal. Heck, invite your friends over to impress or be shamelessly selfish and enjoy the leftovers for days to come. If you don’t have a slow cooker, a Dutch oven can be used to achieve similar results. If you wish to use this method instead, cook in a conventional oven at 200°- 225° F for approximately 4 hours.

Easy

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6-7 hours
Total time: 7 hours

Servings: 6-8

Crock-Pot

Photo by Ethan Jones

1 lb. dry white beans
¾ lb. sweet Italian sausage
1 quart chicken broth
2 zucchinis
2 tomatoes
1 large potato (or 2-3 small ones)
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
Salt & pepper

1. Dump the dry beans in the slow cooker and sift through them, removing any debris.

Crock-Pot

Photo by Ethan Jones

2. Cut up the uncooked sausage, zucchini, tomatoes and potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Add them to the slow cooker.
3. Add salt, pepper and rosemary.
4. Pour in the chicken broth.
5. Place the cover on the Crock-Pot and turn the dial to high heat. Let cook for about 6-7 hours. Do not remove the lid until the time has elapsed.
6. Before serving, stir to mix the beans, sausage and vegetables.

Crock-Pot

Photo by Katya Simkovich