On my continued journey to incorporate miso paste into my dessert repertoire, I have decided to try a new recipe: miso crème brûlée. Though crème brûlée is fabulous as is, exotic crème brûlée flavors are quite the rage. However, don't be intimidated by the need for a blowtorch — I have you covered with a couple of alternatives (however, after tasting how great this dessert is, I may invest in a culinary blow torch). 

After making and sharing the dish with a couple of friends, we all agreed that though the flavor of miso is difficult to discern towards the top of the dessert because of the sugar topping. The saltiness of the miso paste is much more evident towards the bottom of the dessert. The flavor combination was the perfect balance between sweet and salty — and hey, who doesn't love cracking that top layer of sugar?

Recipe modified from Billy Law.

Miso Crème Brûlée

• Total Time:1 hr 5 mins

• 5 large egg yolks
  • 1/4 cup sugar and extra for topping
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons white miso paste
  • 1 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup milk
cream, soup, sweet, bread, pudding, vegetable, jam
Bianca Hsieh

Preheat the oven to 325˚F.

milk, juice, yogurt, dairy
    Bianca Hsieh

Combine the egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl.

egg, yolk, egg yolk
    Bianca Hsieh

In a medium saucepan, heat the heavy cream, milk, and miso paste over high heat until the ingredients come to a boil. Remove from the heat. Slowly whisk the egg mixture until well combined.

cream, soup, sweet, dairy product, vegetable
    Bianca Hsieh

Strain the liquid into four ramekins. Tap the ramekins on the countertop to release all air bubbles and scoop off any remaining froth with a spoon.

milk, cream, dairy product, flour, egg, batter
    Bianca Hsieh

Place the ramekins into a baking try and fill the tray halfway with hot water. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the edges are set and the center is still trembling.

juice, sweet, egg yolk, egg
    Bianca Hsieh

Allow crème brûlée to cool and place in refrigerator for at least two hours.

cream, pudding, custard, sweet, soup, milk, bread
    Bianca Hsieh

Sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar over the top of each crème brûlée and caramelize with a blowtorch.
    #SpoonTip: If you don't have access to a culinary blowtorch, place the crème brûlée with sugar coating into the oven and broil for a few minutes.

cream, custard, pudding, milk, sweet, soup, bread, dairy product
    Bianca Hsieh

Let it cool and enjoy!

Bianca Hsieh